Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegas Pro Has Stopped Working (During Rendering)

1. Arrow Vegas Pro Has Stopped Working (During Rendering)

Hello,

I have an 8 minute video, loads of editing / fx. Now its ready to be rendered, but sony vegas won't let me.

When I render, it comes up with an error "Vegas Pro 9 Has Stopped Working". This happens at a different time every render. Eg: first time I rendered, it came up at 37%, whereas the second time I rendered, it came up at 0%.

The furthest it has gotten is 57%, I'm about to try (and probably fail) again.

Is there any cause to this? Its very important, and since its a *.veg file, theres no other software I can carry on with.

I've tried re-installing, no change.

System Specs:
    - Windows Vista Home Premium
    - 3GB RAM
    - 250GB Hard Drive (70GB Free)

Note:
    I tried rendering a small portion of the video, it completed successfully in about 10 minutes. This video was 16 seconds long.

Rendering in Vegas is the single most CPU intensive procedure it will do, closely followed by Previewing. Armed with this knowledge you really have to give Vegas its best way forward.

Here is a test for you to try, followed by some questions that would help us to understand what you are attempting to do.

1] Test: Place non FX-ed Media on the timeline, something straight from your camera and attempt to render it to an AVI. Maybe 5 minutes long? How does that cope?

2] By the sound of it, as you say, you have many Fxs and various compositing treatments you've made to your Media Events. Please give us a rough list of these?

3] What Media are you rendering FROM? And what Media are you rendering TO?

4] What are your Project settings?

5] NB: at present you are rendering BACK to your system disc. By looking at your figures you have only about 25% free space on your system disc. I keep mine to at least 50% and I don't render back to it. You do. The result of this will mean much thrashing about by Vegas to complete a render. It is looking for more and area to place the finished render down. Truthfully? You aren't giving Vegas much of a chance here. But that's OK, we have all done it. You would appear to be reaching, what I would call your "envelope" of efficiency with Vegas.

6] Do a clean of your C drive and only a Defrag ANALYSIS and note what the Analysis says!

7] Try rendering in sections and to a plain vanilla AVI. Least ways you will have a group of AVIs that you could then re-stitch in something faster than real time. This is exactly what I do.

I think that kinda covers most bases for you? And gives you plenty to get on with. If you need more assistance come back with the replies to 1 > 7 and let's see what could be accomplished - yeah?

3. Arrow

Thanks for the informative reply. Still having problems, tried a render again, got to 64%.

1) Haven't tested yet.

2) How do you mean? Examples of the effects?

- Magic Bullet Editor Look Suite (Added to all clips)
    - Cookie Cutter (Added to one clip, a solid colour which overlays over the whole video)
    - Color Correcter (Added to about a quarter of the clips - change of colours throughout the clips it is present in)
    - Various New Blue FX (about 3 or 4 different effects added to 10% of the video)

Suppose thats about it for effects, not too many now that i think about it

3) You mean format wise?

Most of the clips (95%) are in *.mpg format, with audio. Some are in *.avi, and some are in *.wmv.

Two audio clips lasting most of the video (songs) are in *.mp3 format.

Rendering to *.wmv (ask if you want my render settings)

4) Not sure what you mean, sorry.

5) Ok, I have an external hard drive with 160 GB free space. Attempted to render to there. Had the same problem.

6) Haven't done yet (what could be achieved with this btw?)

7) Good idea, but only concern is that the final video will be uploaded to youtube, and they have specific settings needed for it to be widescreen HQ. I can render each section using these settings, but how do I join them together keeping the same settings? (WMV)

Would render using networked computers help in anyway? At the moment, I am connected via ethernet cable to my router, which is connected to the external hard drive. If that helps. I have never used render using networked computers, so haven't got a clue how to use it.

What happened before:

Attempted render, had the error at 0%. Re-opened vegas, attempted render again and it got to 64%. It seems that it ofren fails on 0%, but after I re-open it gets to a much higher percentage. I tried 1 render to external hard drive, failed at 0%. I'm trying another render now, just started it (rendering to external hard drive -- 2nd attempt). We'll see how it goes, not getting my hopes up however.

Overall Attempts at Rendering: About 8
    Furthest its gotten: 64%

Takes ages too, took 4 hrs 30 mins to get to 64%, and said there was 2 hrs 30 mins remaining. This is on a laptop bare in mind, but with a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 processor.

You are at the real limit of your hardware for the FXs and content you are attempting to render out. MB is truly CPU intensive. I have a QUAD Core and use MB, it is quick, but I'd hate to consider adding everything else you are doing to it? PLUS you are starting off with MPEG and going straight out to a YouTube format?

You really don't understand my 4? It's how you set up your project: File | Properties what do you have?

The Defrag stuff was about you SEEING how badly fragmented your system drive was after a cleanup, if at all.

Bottom line? My opinion is that Vegas isn't failing, but rather you have reached the edge of what you can do with your setup. You could try ADDING Fxs incrementally - meaning not at ONE shot of render.

How well is the cooling on your laptop? That can also lock up systems. And rendering with this type of intensity will put demands on your fans.

Also make sure you haven't added FXs to the Track - if you really don't need too!

6. Default

I've done files like this before, rendering from mpg to wmv youtube format. No problems. The only difference this time, is much more effects and 2 or 3 mins longer.

Sorry I didn't understand about #4, now reading over it i think i deserve a *facepalm*. I can't look at it now, but I know I use the first HD template (1280x720).

I'll do a defragment analysis next time I have full access to the laptop (attempted rendering atm).

The overheating may be the cause, but looking at it. It doesn't seem too hot, and other programs are working fine (dw, i closed them during rendering .. after it fails I test out other applications)

UPDATE: Just got a different error message, system is low on memory. Yet looking at both my disks (C and D), there is plenty of space on both. I'm sure theres loads of space on the external too. So what could this error mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan1 View Post
    I've done files like this before, rendering from mpg to wmv youtube format. No problems. The only difference this time, is much more effects and 2 or 3 mins longer.
    - It is not just that, it is the TYPE of FXs. The ones you have are very CPU intensive. Do a test and remove, say, MB and see what happens.

Sorry I didn't understand about #4, now reading over it i think i deserve a *facepalm*. I can't look at it now, but I know I use the first HD template (1280x720).
    What's a *facepalm*? - Why have you chosen the HD template? I just want to know.

I'll do a defragment analysis next time I have full access to the laptop (attempted rendering atm).
    Sure, but, and with your next comment and your FX experience I am leaning towards a hardware PLUS FX combo that is doing your render times in.

The overheating may be the cause, but looking at it. It doesn't seem too hot, and other programs are working fine (dw, i closed them during rendering .. after it fails I test out other applications)
    Well, what is not hot? How do you know? And also, other programs would not be hammering your CPU in the same way as the FXs you have selected. Do a test WITHOUT MB and see what happens - yes?

UPDATE: Just got a different error message, system is low on memory. Yet looking at both my disks (C and D), there is plenty of space on both. I'm sure theres loads of space on the external too. So what could this error mean?
    - Yup! This does appear to be at the core of your experience/s. What you have is Vegas, ostensibly, running a CPU/PC/Laptop efficiency test. You are inviting to Vegas to roll up its sleeves and get very very busy with your CPU and your page file. The lack of memory "could" be that you have little or inefficient dynamic memory on your HARD DRIVE (all sounding familiar - yeah?) and you are getting this memory alert. Also, outside of my expertise (lol) is that your laptop may need some optimisation for this CPU work?

I just feel that you have TOO much going on for your setup. I would strongly invite you to do those tests I suggested: Remove FXs one by one till you get BACK to what you want. You appear to be wanting to do everything at one shot. Vegas WILL do this, mostly, but it is possibly your system that is not up to doing it for you.

Look, I remember going from a Pentium III, and struggling under WinMisery to a P4 XP Pro and the difference was day for night. "Ah!! So THAT'S how Vegas should work! Hah!" Now that I have the QUADIE I can be truly adventurous with Vegas. But this has been my experience. I learnt the hard and frustrating way. Vegas WILL do the job - mostly. What I still think, in my opinion, you are experiencing the reality of needing to consider an upgrade. Failing that, back-off the FXs and add them back incrementally and test.

8. Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    - It is not just that, it is the TYPE of FXs. The ones you have are very CPU intensive. Do a test and remove, say, MB and see what happens.

What's a *facepalm*? - Why have you chosen the HD template? I just want to know.

Sure, but, and with your next comment and your FX experience I am leaning towards a hardware PLUS FX combo that is doing your render times in.

Well, what is not hot? How do you know? And also, other programs would not be hammering your CPU in the same way as the FXs you have selected. Do a test WITHOUT MB and see what happens - yes?

- Yup! This does appear to be at the core of your experience/s. What you have is Vegas, ostensibly, running a CPU/PC/Laptop efficiency test. You are inviting to Vegas to roll up its sleeves and get very very busy with your CPU and your page file. The lack of memory "could" be that you have little or inefficient dynamic memory on your HARD DRIVE (all sounding familiar - yeah?) and you are getting this memory alert. Also, outside of my expertise (lol) is that your laptop may need some optimisation for this CPU work?

I just feel that you have TOO much going on for your setup. I would strongly invite you to do those tests I suggested: Remove FXs one by one till you get BACK to what you want. You appear to be wanting to do everything at one shot. Vegas WILL do this, mostly, but it is possibly your system that is not up to doing it for you.

Look, I remember going from a Pentium III, and struggling under WinMisery to a P4 XP Pro and the difference was day for night. "Ah!! So THAT'S how Vegas should work! Hah!" Now that I have the QUADIE I can be truly adventurous with Vegas. But this has been my experience. I learnt the hard and frustrating way. Vegas WILL do the job - mostly. What I still think, in my opinion, you are experiencing the reality of needing to consider an upgrade. Failing that, back-off the FXs and add them back incrementally and test.
    Trying to render in small parts of about 1 minute in length now.

Thing is, the MB effect is really important. Using the preset 'buffalo' slightly sharpens the video and changes the contrast, making it look a lot better. So is quite important to use for quality improvements.

Sorry, a *facepalm* is when you feel like an idiot and put ur hand to your forehead and let out a sigh, lol.

I have a desktop, I could get Sony Vegas installed and try rendering on there? But this meaning moving about 50GB of video footage to a place the desktop can access, then how would I tell Vegas where all the files are? Would I have to do it one by one?

By not hot, I mean, feeling the bottom of the laptop, I can feel a luke warm feeling. Hard to explain if i'm honest. Like I said, MB is quite important. So a test without it would just tell me if its the effect giving the problem. If it is (the test renders successfully in theory), then the way to complete the render is to remove the important effects. If it isn't, then it must be another problem. Either way that would be 8 hours of time I don't exactly have (unless it fails at 50% again).

By lack of memory, are we talking about hard disk space? Or RAM? I have plently of hard disk space remaining. And the error comes up no matter which disk I render to (C, D, or external). I have 3GB of RAM, if you want I could get you a screenshot of the processing memory and whatnot that you find in task manager? If that helps in any way. I do daily clean outs of temporary files, using CCleaner. Don't see how may laptop needs upgrading, I bought it about 3 months ago, and it was above average in the range. Its an Acer Aspire 6390G, if that helps.

So like I said, rendering in parts of 1 minute now, meaning it will take 8 parts. If it is successful, maybe it will fail coming to the later parts (considering rendering the full thing failed at 64%)? If everything is successful however, how would I join these WMV files into one WMV file, whilst keeping the same settings? Would Sony Vegas render this? Considering the FX would no longer be present, just a video instead. If not then what software could I use?

If I haven't said yet so far, thanks for all the help so far. You know you're Sony Vegas and I appreciate you helping me.

Blog Entries

Don't want to butt in on Grazie's answers, but a couple of suggetsions. In answer specifically to the above, I'd suggest you render as avi then join all your avis together in another project and render that to WMV. (This way yopu have a high quality version you can render to other formats if you need later)

If your MB is applied as teh last thing to the whole film then I recommend you do a render with everything except the MB (to avi). Then importy the resulting video into a new project and apply your MB effect to that. Again render as avi and proceed as above,
    Tim

10. Default

True, but that higher quality means more problems with rendering I assume :(

I done parts 1, 2, and 3 (all 1 minute long) with no problems.

Part 4 won't render at all, having the memory error again.

Still loads of disk space, and temp files cleared. Not sure what the problem is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast