Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Northwest 1930-1990's Trailer

Default Pacific Northwest 1930-1990's Trailer

This a short trailer of an upcoming project It'll have an Ansel Adams-Ken Burns feel to it, hopefully with my own slant to make it different.. The photos that are in this clip will be scanned in. they wont be filmed.. This will be a big undertaking.. Luckily I have a lot of support and resources to use.. Their will be interviews with survivors and other governments officials past and present.. I'll be getting archived footage. photos from families that have never been seen as well as stories that were never told until now. I'll be filming from a jet ranger helicopter that they use for tours.. Im excited to finally be working on this.. I have about 6 hours of footage from today that I still need to go though.. But any way take a look, let me know what you think of the project. Any tips you might have. Maybe someone did a similar project in the past..

(updated June 5th)
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 06-05-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Updated trailer
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

For this sort of documentary you must use a tripod. I can't emphasise that enough. Wobbly landscape shots shout out "holiday video". In the same way you need to get your narrator into a quiet room with a decent microphone.

I honestly feel that this trailer does your production more harm than good. Get the photos scanned in and, if necessary animate them a bit in post. Also, I would change the font used in the titles, they don't really fit with the time period you're talking about.

Sorry to be harsh but this doesn't seem to be up to your usual standard.

Not harsh at all.. I got there and relized the tripod wasn't in the trunk.. no excuse I know.. just a planing slip up.. The wind was horrible.. But Ill be making many trips to get everything I need.. most likely lots of reshoots as needed.. Thanks for the feed back...

edit: The photos are from 5 different museums.. there will be 100's of photos there in the process of scanning.. I cant get them to do it myself.. and they will be animated much like the Ken Burns style
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 06-01-2009 at 08:53 AM.
    Wil

Software Used:

Blog Entries

With the scanning, I wonder if it's worth buying a $100 scanner and going to the museums with a laptop to do it yourself. My experience with small "amateur" museums is that some of them have no aesthetic feeling at all! If you're unlucky, you end up with stuff scanned at a pathetic resolution because they didn't want to e-mail large files!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    With the scanning, I wonder if it's worth buying a $100 scanner and going to the museums with a laptop to do it yourself. My experience with small "amateur" museums is that some of them have no aesthetic feeling at all! If you're unlucky, you end up with stuff scanned at a pathetic resolution because they didn't want to e-mail large files!
    Thats a good point.. I have a scanner.. from my still photography days.. when people actully had negatives.. Ill have to see if they'll let me. Perhaps on a day they are closed.. hmm Thanks Im going to look into that
    Wil

Software Used:

Definitely use a tripod for the shooting and tilting down and panning right or left and then tilting up doesn't look good. I would either frame the whole lot in a wide shot and then cross dissolve or cut to one of the pictures in close up and do the same with the rest of them. The animated typeface at the start doesn't suit the subject, the subject is educational and therefore a 'serious' piece so you need a font family (different weights) that will put across the correct message about the video.

The v/o needs to be done in post production with a good microphone and speaker, the person who is doing it would be fine. Just make sure she takes a few pauses between sentences and let the pictures roll for a couple of seconds on their own. If you are going to show a lot of pictures from the museum, then try and shoot at least three exterior shots.

One from the left side, one straight on and one from the right side of the building to give you establishing ext shots at the beginning, a re-establishing shot half ways through (a break from the pictures) and a final establishing shot at the end that you could fade to black. With an inaminate object like pictures you need something more to liven it up. Scanning them in is a good idea but what about the pictures that you can't scan in, either they are too big for the scanner or the museum will not lend them to you.

exciting project, good luck with it and i look forward to seeing the finished production

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Definitely use a tripod for the shooting and tilting down and panning right or left and then tilting up doesn't look good. I would either frame the whole lot in a wide shot and then cross dissolve or cut to one of the pictures in close up and do the same with the rest of them. The animated typeface at the start doesn't suit the subject, the subject is educational and therefore a 'serious' piece so you need a font family (different weights) that will put across the correct message about the video.

The v/o needs to be done in post production with a good microphone and speaker, the person who is doing it would be fine. Just make sure she takes a few pauses between sentences and let the pictures roll for a couple of seconds on their own. If you are going to show a lot of pictures from the museum, then try and shoot at least three exterior shots.

One from the left side, one straight on and one from the right side of the building to give you establishing ext shots at the beginning, a re-establishing shot half ways through (a break from the pictures) and a final establishing shot at the end that you could fade to black. With an inaminate object like pictures you need something more to liven it up. Scanning them in is a good idea but what about the pictures that you can't scan in, either they are too big for the scanner or the museum will not lend them to you.

I have some exterior shots already.. Im kicking my self for forgetting the tripod.. but this will be a huge project so Ill be shooting a lot of footage. As far as getting the photos its a no go.. They told me they have a company that works for the Association that is archiving all the photos for some database so it should all be good quailty scans..
    Wil

Software Used:

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    exciting project, good luck with it and i look forward to seeing the finished production
    Thanks, im excited to be working on it.. Ill post updates
    Wil

Software Used:

I tried to get old photos from my library a few months ago and they told me the same thing. Some were in a bad state so I guess they don't want anyone going near them. Glad to hear you will get scans anyway, it will save you time having to do it yourself. Good luck with it and keep us posted as to how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast