Thread: Problem rendering SD in Architect Studio

Default Problem rendering SD in Architect Studio

I am using a Sony HDR SR11 to record in SD at 16:9. After editing in Vegas Movie Studio and rendering it runs correctly in Media Player. However when I when I wish to burn onto DVD I am sent to DVD Architect Studio. This only gives option to work in 4:3 and when rendering it converts to this aspect ratio, with the resul that when playing the resultant DVD the image is squashed horizontally.

I would appreciate any input

whope

Blog Entries

It's in the properties of the DVDA project (File | Properties - under "video")
    Tim

Thanks for your reply Tim.

I am using the option under "properties" that you suggest but the rendered output from DVDA is still squashed. I am coming to the conclusion that DVDA will not render SD files in 16:9 format. As the sony camcorder only seems to record in 16:9 (HD or SD) and not 4:3, I have rendered the edited file in Sony Movie Studio, saving to my Hard drive in Mpeg 2. I burned this to disc using Nero Express. This works, giving the correct 16:9 playback (granted letterboxed, but am using a conventional TV at this stage) without distortion.

You probably realise that I am just beginning! Although I have a lot of experience with Photoshop, and Nikon Capture NX, I am finding this quite difficult

Thanks again

Bill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whope View Post
    I am coming to the conclusion that DVDA will not render SD files in 16:9 format.
    Well, whatever the cause of your problems, Bill (and I admit I'm at a loss as to what's going wrong in your workflow) your conclusion is incorrect.

I film in 16:9 standard def, edit in Vegas and produce 16:9 standard def DVDs in DVDA all the time.

Back to your problem...the letterbox output from Nero sounds like something is not really right and something else is being set to compensate for the error.

Render your file in Sony Movie Studio as MPEG2 and make sure you choose the (PAL or NTSC) Widescreen DVD Archhitect Stream (it's called something similar to that anyway)

Now open DVDA and Import the MPEG you've just rendered.

What happens?
    Tim

Hi Tim,

I've done what you recommend, and brought into DVD Architect the file previously rendered in Movie Studio. (I had previously let Architect re-render the file.)
    In Studio I used Main concept MPEG2 as "type" and DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream as "template" This however left out all audio. The burned DVD was silent!
    I then again rendered in Studio but used DVD PAL as "template". This had the audio files included and the burned DVD works fine.

I think the main mistake I had made was letting Architect re-render the files instead of importing the file rendered by Studio?

The leterboxing occurs with both the Nero burned DVD and the Architect burned DVD, but I think this is natural when playing a 16:9 movie on a 4:3 Tv. At least the height and width of objects is correct, and when I do buy a widescreen LCD Tv it should fill the screen properly.

Thanks again for your help

Bill

Blog Entries

In Studio I used Main concept MPEG2 as "type" and DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream as "template" This however left out all audio. The burned DVD was silent!
    Ah-hah!
    What you need to do (you'd never guess - it's sort of written in the small print) is render the audio separately! Sorry, I should have mentioned it.

So you render an MPEG2 Video only file called something like MyVideo.mpg and then an audio file (Sony PCM or AC3 if you've got that option) as MyVideo.ac3.
    (Rendering the audio only takes seconds)

It's important you give them both the same name (ie MyVideo in the example above)

When you then import the mpg file into DVDA, it will automatically bring in the audio as well (so long as it has the same name).

I believe there is an alternative (though I've never tried it as I've always used Dolby AC3 for sound) and that is to render the mpeg2 WITH sound (the default templates turn sound off). Use the same template as before, then hit "Custom" and look for a tick box which says something like "Include Audio stream".
    Tim

Hi Tim

It worked!

My audio file is MP3, so I was a bit worried as Architect seems to talk about .ac3 or .wav being necessary. Anyway I rendered the audio file seperately as mp3. opened the mpg file in Architect (the audio opened with it) and then burned the DVD. Architect seemed to have no problem handling this mp3 file (although the sound levels were quite high), and the image on the TV (I went out and bought a wide screen TV) is better than from the files rendered as "DVD Pal"

I also tried to render the mp3 audio file (in Movie Studio) as ac3, in the hope that the program would convert it. It couldn't - it rendered an .ac3 file but opening this in Architect with the Mpg file, there was no sound. I'll have to find a low cost convertor mp3 to ac3 if I want to continue using my mp3 music files and comply with Architects requirements.

I'll have to spend more time reading the manual before I go further. It's not so easy though - if you're trying to do calculus and don't know about equations, life is a bit difficult!

Many thanks for your help,

Bill

Blog Entries

It worked!
    Delighted to hear it.

I also tried to render the mp3 audio file (in Movie Studio) as ac3, in the hope that the program would convert it. It couldn't - it rendered an .ac3 file but opening this in Architect with the Mpg file, there was no sound.
    I've just checked here:

Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro 9 - Vegas Family Comparison

and basic Vegas Movie Studio doesn't have ac3, though Platinum & Platinum Pro do. You don't mention that you have Plat or Plat Pro so I'm guessing this might be why you're getting no output as ac3 (though to my mind if you can't do it, it shouldn't be offered to you as an option within the program).

ac3 requires payment of a fee to Dolby Labs (which is one of the reasons for the distinction - and price difference - between the basic and platinum versions) so I suspect you'll not fin any legitimate free software to do the conversion.

Why not go with wav? The only disadvantage that I'm aware of is that being an uncompressed format it takes up more space than ac3. Unless you're creating DVDs lasting well over an hour, I woudn't think this will have any impact whatsoever.

I hope others will step in if I'm wrong about using wavs - the above is based on assumption rather than full knowledge.
    Tim