Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving the camera automatically

Default moving the camera automatically

Hello,

Does anyone know of a product (presumably something that attaches to a tripod) that will move the camera automatically through a set sequence of actions? For instance, it would be nice to find something that will alternate through, say, 3 or 4 set positions, over and over, staying with each position for maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Yup. In fact I use two of them when filming bands and stuff. If you look on Hagues website (HERE) you'll see exactly what I mean. Great tool.

EDIT - Just re-read your post. The power head will move constantly, not stop and then move - unless you use the remote, but that involves you operating it yourself rather than leaving it on auto. Still extremely useful though, especially on the end of a jib.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 05-30-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Blog Entries

One little addendum to the above Richard. I wouldn't bother with the model that tilts as well unless the camera you plan to use on it is lightweightish. Maybe 2 to 3 pounds with battery and accessories on board. The pan motor is strong and healthy, but the tilt mechanism, not so.

Nice one, Andy - thanks for your help. I'll have a think about it.

My use is for live music, too. I'm curious - if you have it set on autopan or whatever, how much do you tend to use the footage in the edit? Do you find there's plenty of opportunity for that kind of shot?

Blog Entries

Mine provide interesting and, more importantly moving camera images and reliable cut aways. I tend to place one on a tripod in front of the stage tilted way back and panning stage left to right as well as on my jib. It's surprising how often the camera is in just the right position when you need it to be. I wouldn't be without them at every gig these days.

EDIT - To actually answer your question, I tend to be judicious with use - as I would be with a lock off too. But at least the shot has added interest.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 05-30-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Heh heh...actually, I've just bought, a couple of mins ago, a Sanyo VAH-30 for 30. Looks OK and I'll have fun playing with it.

I'm really interested to hear how you're using your kit. I run courses for choral singers (I'm the conductor) and I've recently been knocking together video clips of the performances:

Btw, skip to about 1'00" to avoid all the boring still shots.

Sound's a mini-disc, camera's just the vid facility on a still camera (!) and as you can see I've had to fake lot with different angles from different parts of a rehearsal (none of it's actually from the performance itself, apart from the sound! - in fact, some of it is footage from a different piece altogether. Nobody's noticed yet ).

So, this year, I want to have 2 or 3 cameras (cheap, but better than a still camera!) dotted around to save all the hassle of editing from different takes, and maybe even capture the performance itself rather than faking it. Also, I won't have to use so much filler material from photos.

I don't know - what do you reckon (if you've got the time to comment!). 3 cameras, and an auto-panning head (on auto, or with me just pressing the remote control button every so often to shift its position)? Where would you stick 'em?
    Last edited by Richard.Smith; 05-30-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Blog Entries

First off - I think you've done quite a good job considering your technical limitations so far...

Very difficult to guess at camera positions without walking around and looking for myself, but for sure three cameras is going to be an improvement.

One panning across all the choristers (the Jessop motor allows different degrees of pan as well as pan sped via remote) one possibly closer on you and one far back wide would cover all the action I would guess.

The sweep across the choir will allow time for slow, appropriate fades from one angle to another.

Thanks very much. I have to admit that at some point messing around with the footage from the still camera I did sort of get hooked. I suspect I'm moving into the toys-for-boys arena (no harm in that!).

Have you got any footage on youtube or whatever of the way in which your using your auto-pans in the final edits? Might give me some more ideas.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Not on YouPants I'm afraid. But if you go to www.Pure-Silk.net - Videos and have a look at some of their vids I'm sure the panners will be in the mix here and there... 'Shine' might be a good choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast