Thread: Noob Question - Can you edit 'on camera'?

Question Noob Question - Can you edit 'on camera'?

Hi,

My son has been using his phone to shoot film shorts - some really creative! It's his birthday soon and I was wondering if there was a camera I could get him that would allow him to edit actually on the camera? Nothing fancy just a basic editor like the 'video DJ' type things you can you get on most modern phones?

Sorry if this is an obvious question - I have tried search but not found anything that answers my query.

not really, windows movie maker is fairly basic and extremely easy to use, its a good thing to star of with.

Thanks for the fast response!

I wanted to avoid him having to use another item of equipment I.e a computer to edit.

You can do 'in camera' editing, you point the camera at something, hit the record button, decide how long it will stay onscreen and then hit the record button again. Every time you do that you are editing in camera as you are making decisions about what to record, how to record it and how long it should last. To do real editing though you need to copy or capture the video onto a computer hard disk and use software such as Windows Movie Maker or similar to edit it. This will give you many more creative options than editing in camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    You can do 'in camera' editing, you point the camera at something, hit the record button, decide how long it will stay onscreen and then hit the record button again. Every time you do that you are editing in camera as you are making decisions about what to record, how to record it and how long it should last.
    Thanks. but when I say 'edit' I mean the traditional film idea of deleting, arranging, and splicing sections.

Hmmm. I'll have to have a re-think. Thanks for your time.

DVD and memory card camcorders allow you to create a 'play list'. You can do basic trimming, re-arranging and deleting of scenes but it would take forever on a small screen and using those tiny buttons on either the camcorder itself or using a remote control. If you want to do 'deleting, arranging, and splicing sections', then it is best to use software on a computer.

This is the sort of basic editing I had in mind - Remember he has been using his phone to do this sort of thing up to now - literally filming everything 'in order sequence' and hitting start and stop. I would like to provide a 'next step' without it being essential to have a computer to do anything.

Thanks, I will look into some Memory Card Camcorders. I've seen an HITACHI DZ-SV560E which seems simple to use.

That's called Assemble Editing which we had to do a long time ago, it was very restrictive as you had to be very disciplined and structured about the order in which you wanted to record you shots. With Non Linear Editing you have much more freedom in recording each shot.