Thread: Split video like a puzzle

Default Split video like a puzzle

Hello all, I would like to take one video file and split it into 4 or more pieces like a puzzle, only each piece will be the same size and square. With the separate pieces, I can place each square into it's own television set (I would have multiple TV set images on the screen).

My ultimate goal is to have one video clip playing through several television sets effect. Can this be done? I hope I explained it well enough!

Here is what it would look like, only the image would be moving video footage. I am using Premier Pro CS3.

Last edited by RadicalRick; 05-29-2009 at 06:05 PM.

i think this would be more suitable iVw4 (2x2) Standalone Video Wall Controller

but if you insist on having 4 video clips then use the crop effect and crop from the right 50% and from the bottom 50% to get the upper-left video, now right click the video and click scale to frame. Now the same again with the same original video on a different sequence or project, but this time crop 50% from the left and 50% from the bottom etc...

oh sorry, 3x3... 33% insted of 50% and this one iVw9 Standalone Video Wall Controller

I'm confused. Is the end result going onto a video wall or do you just want to draw lines on the video to make it look like the bezel of the monitors is showing?

I've worked with a number of large video walls and independent synchronised screens, so I guess you just want the effect as an actual split is not needed.

I would use After Effects and use the grid plugin or just draw the lines on.

I have little experience with after effects but play about with it.

I was on about literally splitting up the video into segments

Im not sure i understand.

Do you want to have the one video on screen but with what looks like a row of TV sets 3x3? Like your picture but with a video!!

Or do you want 9 different clips of the same video all playing at different times but shown in the same way as your picture?

Either one is easy to do in Prem and AE -

In Premier make the "Grid" for the preview window show (This is just below the preview window and on the same aspect as you choose "Title safe".
    Now make a new solid and scale it so that it is the thickness you need - place it in the required area and copy it a bunch of times.

Now put your video clip BELOW these lines and it will look like your picture.

If you want 9 clips of the same clipthen do the same as above, but copy the video clip 9 times and mask out the portion you want for each clip.

Have a read of the help files and it will show you, or if you give me until tonight ill make one and post it...

Mitch

Thank you everyone for the reply's. I did just want to grid the footage, not split it into 9 separate little video's, although that looked really cool!

Thanks again!