Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The City

1. Default The City

This is the second cut of a video I filmed titled the City. Its basically shots of San Fransisco, California. I did two cuts and decided ultimatly that this was the better of the two.

Any feedback would be great, thanks a lot!

Blog Entries

Surprisingly captivating.
    I say surprising because, on the face of it it had little going for it.
    - Most of the shots were shakey to say the least. (Yet the pelican (?) flying is so steady)
    - I can't stand "old film look" filters unless there's very good reason (like you're trying to create an old look with old costumes etc)

However, it worked for me. It showed sights of 'Frisco we don't normally see and it showed people interacting with it. It kept me watching to the end and I felt it was worth watching that's what matters.

Loved the music. Put me in mind of Neil Young.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I really liked it, but I am biased as I really like this sort of vid.

I dont think the aged look added to the film. I dont rate the vegas ager that highly. The magic bullet one is better by a mile - I forget the name.

4. Default

i know, i have the magic bullet editor, but it says my computer can't run it so i have to upgrade it first

A few things about your video. The tracking shots were very unstable, you need to either use a steadicam or borrow a skate board and you stand on it and get someone else to do grip. You'd be surprised how big of a difference that makes. The colour, is it meant to be sepia, colour or a combination of both? There seemed to be a few changes throughout your video where the sepia was more dominant and then the colour was more dominant.

As said above it didn't add anything to the video, you should try a 1970's film look with more saturated colours and increase the exposure, your scenes were too dark. Good choice of music as it suggested that laid back atmosphere of San Francisco. Titles were onscreen long enough and readable, a few scenes could have been trimmed and made shorter as the action had died out and didn't need to be onscreen any longer, once the action stops then cut to something else. Good job but could do with changes.

6. Default

yeah, the unstable ones is where i was just holding it down by my side or it was really zoomed in, a lot of the filming i wasn't looking through the view finder or anything so i can just film people without them noticing or looking at the camera

I grew up in the bay area so I really liked it just for that fact. It brought back good memories of time long ago. But now onto the video.. I think it would have been a lot better with out the artificial old film look.. Some of the shots lost alot of detail and contrast.. I dont know it it was the old film filter or exposure that did it. I really liked the bird overlayed on the video.. I thought it was very artistic and well thought out and executed. This was a very entertaining video and I look forward to seeing more video from you
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

8. Default

well thanks man, i had a black and white version too, but it just didn't seem to do it justice, so i tried the old film filter with a little color showing still and really liked it, but i might go back and try to recut it now without the sepia and see how it turns out

i'll probably film a new one in the downtown or haight ashbury soon, one of the two

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oilmanrich View Post
    i tried the old film filter with a little color showing still and really liked it,
    When I said earlier I'm not a fan of the "old film" look - prehaps I should clarify.

What I meant was the scratches/dust/hairs effect. For this film I think the sepia with a bit of colour works really well although it could do with a bit of evening out as others have said.

Equally the 70's film look suggested by Wil (I think) might also work well.
    Tim

10. Default

first of all, i'm not a videographer at all! i'm just someone who enjoys a good video or two. and this was unbelievable. first of all, the music really matches with the mood you shot. its what made me watch the entire video, and the final bird scene was very very nicely done. a great way to end the video, because it kind of wraps everything up, and like someone pointed out above, it makes watching the video worthwhile. as far as the brown color cast look goes, i liked it here. the first part of the clip, i thought it was overdone, but halfway through, i became comfortable with it. again, i'm no expert at all, so probably shouldn't even be critiquing, but regardless, i thought it was fantastic, and i've faved this page because i kjnow i'd someday want to watch it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast