Thread: My un-biased view! Premiere vs Vegas

Default My un-biased view! Premiere vs Vegas

Hi, just thought i'd like to share my opinions on a matter which i find lot's of people are becoming misguided about.

I've been using Premiere Pro (CS3) and Vegas Pro 8 quite a bit recently to see which I'd like to stick with as my main production suite.

First of all, Vegas...

I was originally planning using Premiere all along when i was getting my video editing PC set up, i obviously knew i couldn't use Final cut as i wanted to stick to a Windows system, and i hardly knew about the other options.
    However, i was given the opportunity to try out Sony Vegas Pro 8, and to be honest, at first i was a little skeptical, as to me it sounded more like a home use program they chuck in with their camera's for basic use. I've found lots of other people view Vegas (who haven't used it) as a basic tool, that's not up to the job for any professional or intense video work. I'll start by saying this view is rubbish. Within the first few hours of using Vegas, i found it to be incredibly powerful, simple to use and versatile.
    The layout and time line controls are placed and thought about in a very practical way, you can see Sony have designed the software to work in the way your brain and hands want to work, rather than to make it look nice. So yes, the customizable and intuitive UI does mean Vegas doesn't look pro at all, infact, it looks as though it was designed about 8 years ago, however, I've grown to like the grown-up look.
    There are a really great array of effects (both Sony and 3rd party) which are very powerful and customizable, i haven't yet found a situation where i can't get a certain effect to give me a certain visual look... they are great!
    Keyframing in Vegas is simple, i'd say the easiest to learn out of the 3 programs, although some work still needs to be done, keyframing isn't scary at all in Vegas. Oh, and the titler tool..'ProType' is awesome! By far the best titler out of them, it's incredibly easy and quick to make a classy and original look.

One area in Vegas that surprised me was the audio capabilities, with Apple being big in the audio game with Logic, and Premiere's audio workspace always being pretty decent, i was pleasantly surprised to find Sony have included the most comprehensive and powerful audio workstation in Vegas out of them all. A huge array of effects and recording capabilities make audio a pleasure to edit, and to be honest, i'm struggling to see any major drawback in terms of audio editing and recording Vegas has compared to say Cubase... Vegas can even do simultaneous tracking, which i was very surprised at.

Vegas is very responsive, it's all realtime...all the tools are snappy and never seem to lag. The playback (highly customizable by the way) can lag with big HDV files, but with the option to very quickly change the quality at which Vegas previews the video, it's fixable within a click of a button!
    There's plenty of import and export options, and the overall render is very good quality (too good in some cases!).
    Another advantage of using Vegas is the fact that you can work in 32-bit colour, which as far as i'm aware, Prem' CS3 and FCP can't.

Overall, Vegas is highly underrated, it's powerful, fast, intuitive, easy to use yet can do pretty much anything you'd want it to. Oh, and it's quite a bit cheaper than Premiere, why.. i do not know.

Now, Premiere Pro.

When i finally got my chance to try Premiere, i was prepared to say goodbye to Vegas, even then i still thought Premiere was somehow going to be much more 'pro' than Sony's creation, but after about a halfhour with Premiere, i changed my mind.

First impressions are that Premier isn't so nice to use as Vegas, even on a large monitor it's just too crowded, everything is piled around the timeline, where as Vegas arranges everything above the time-line to leave you plenty of workspace. The premiere time line is just too small for me.
    Effects in premiere are very good, plenty of them there too, can't complain there. However, the title tool in Premiere is just not as good as the great ProType titler in Vegas.
    Premiere is very powerful, no doubt about it, and the basic controls and keyboard short cuts make sense, although doing certain tasks do take more time and effort than it would in Vegas (such as motion effects)
    One thing that put me off Premiere is that it's just not as responsive as Vegas for me, applying tools or just pressing play slightly lag's, which is much more irritating that it sounds. I'm not sure if it's due to my system being too slow, it's a quad-core with plenty of ram, but that doesn't change the fact that that Vegas is perfectly quick on my system.
    Audio in Premiere i found pretty simple compared to Vegas, no buses for example... and as far as recording audio, Vegas win's that hand as well, as the interface for it all is pretty confusing, whereas Vegas works in a similar way to Cubase or Logic and the like.

Overall i find Premiere a powerful and versatile editing tool, i'd be happy to use it, however, after using Vegas... i don't see why i should.
    Vegas for me is more responsive, is easier to use, is faster to perform more complicated tasks and requires less effort for the user.
    Vegas certainly is as good as Premiere, and anyone ignoring it as they believe it's not 'pro' enough should just download the free trial from Sony and see that it really deserves more praise than it gets!

Thanks for taking the time to compare the 2. I'm sure many will appreciate the effort.
    I have used a few editing applications, including Premiere and even been on intensive courses.
    My conclusion about premier has been - it is addictive . . . especially for those that were induced into the early versions and need to feed the addiction with updated versions.
    I always found it a PITB. Opening a window, to open another, to finally get to the bit you really need and unless they've radically altered the structure, prone to crashing on a regular basis.
    Most editing is straight forward stuff. Colour correct, audio filter, title and done.
    I don't need clunk - I need reliable! Vegas has many fans. I haven't tried it, but I will eventually.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Its funny that you meantion the audio being as good as it is, Vegas started out as an audio tool and video was an after thought.. now its just as strong as the audio.. Its probably the most used for music videos in the US
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Oh really? I didn't know that, i've noticed similarities in Acid and Soundforge, so thought they just grabbed some of the audio features from them and added it to the video software!

I to tried Premier in the early forever crashing days, I just could not get the hang of it seemed completely illogical in use (coming from a tape background)

Vegas however worked as I thought it should just like windows and not like a special edit program.

Startted on V3 and now on V9, though that is having some difficulties, I would take a look at the Production Assistant as that adds even more speed and automation the edit process.
    Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro Production Assistant - Introduction

A link to video tutorials fro PA
    How to use Vegas Pro Production Assistant

That's why I always tell anyone who asks on here what is the best NLE to download a 30 day trial and try them out for yourself. Everyone has their likes and dislikes about each editor and I agree with you about Premiere crashing in earlier versions, it still does it, but not as often, thankfully. Having used Adobe programs for quite a few years before I took up Premiere it just seemed familiar so I continued on from there.

It's by no means perfect, it still hasn't got what I would call a quick edit mode which would include a storyboard section where you could chop up your video and move the scenes around and then switch over to the more detailed timeline editing. It would cut a lot of time from having to scroll back and forth on the timeline looking for a particular scene and then move it to somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by benesotor View Post
    Oh really? I didn't know that, i've noticed similarities in Acid and Soundforge, so thought they just grabbed some of the audio features from them and added it to the video software!
    Yeah it started out as an audio editor made by sonic foundry.. Sony bought it and adding video editing and changed it to Vegas...
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

I goota say it - that was one of the most interesting posts in ages - thanks.

I started on prem and found it buggy - 6 years back - so i gave up.

I had been using acid from sonic foundary for a year so took to vegas 4 like the proverbial foul.

I like it's no nonsense low glitz presentation - it feels like a well made hilti drill. Understated but pwerful and reliable.

I like it that I can edit just about anything natively all mixed up on the time line and the sound tools rule.

The fx busses - both video and audio just seem to work in a very logical way.

Blog Entries

Something not mentioned (though sort of hinted at by Cheema in his reference to Production Assistant) is that Vegas is the only one to have scripting.
    This can be a great time-saver.
    There are quite a number of free scripts available and the two main scripting packages, "Excaliber" and "Ultimate S" are really impressive.
    Tim