Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture 'Shimmering' when burnt to DVD

1. Unhappy Picture 'Shimmering' when burnt to DVD

Greetings, I have just been overdubbing some old music archive with new CD quality sound.
    Everything was going fine until I burned a DVD-RW (just one 3 minute video) and the picture had a nasty shimmering effect.
    I checked my settings on Sony Vegas 8 (PAL 720x576 25fps) as I did on Sony architect, although the rendered video looked ok on Windows media player when I played the preview through Sony Architect the picture did look suspect, I assumed that this was because the preview quality was set to medium and thought the burnt DVD would be ok.
    The video clip looks ok on Windows media player after rendering using Vegas but after I have burnt the DVD and I play that on Windows media player (or the TV) the problem occurs.
    The original footage is PAL 720x576 25fps.
    My question is where is the problem arising?
    Is it something to do with my settings on Architect?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-8/1272293/SV1.JPG

Blog Entries

What format are you rendering to in Vegas?
    Recommended when the target is DVDA is to render video as MainConcept MPEG-2 (DVD Architect PAL template) then audio as AC3 (with same filename)
    It looks like this is what you're doing from the jpg you posted, but I thought I'd check.
    Interlace method in your project settings should be "None".
    Tim

3. Default

Yes Tim I am rendering using MainConcept MPEG-2 (DVD Architect PAL template) & AC3.
    Usually I have no problem, highly irregular.
    When I Import into Architect and play on the preview there is shimmering however when I play back on the Windows media player there is no problem so I'm assuming (I know only a fool assumes) that it's a Sony architect issue.
    I will try burning with another software programme, maybe Ulead Workshop 2.

Blog Entries

Have you done any zooming in (with pan & crop)? This can cause havoc with interlaced footage.
    Tim

5. Cool

No, I have not actually changed the picture in anyway (aspect ratio or zoom).
    I ripped the 3 minute (music) video footage from a DVD, then imported the .vob file into Vegas 8.
    Thereafter I extracted a track from a music CD and used time stretch to synchronize and overdub the original bland sounding mono soundtrack.
    The finished rendered file plays fine on Windows media player.
    Incidently I cannot burn a DVD disc using Sony Vegas 8, although the option is open when I try the burn I am prompted my drive 'cannot perform this function' ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nic6 View Post
    I ripped the 3 minute (music) video footage from a DVD, then imported the .vob file into Vegas 8.
    <SNIPS>
    Incidently I cannot burn a DVD disc using Sony Vegas 8, although the option is open when I try the burn I am prompted my drive 'cannot perform this function' ??
    Right, there are a couple of things beginning to sound wrong here...

You ripped the footage then imported the vob into Vegas 8?
    I wonder what you used to rip it. In my (limited as I do it the way I describe next) experience this does not give good results.
    What you want to do is from within Vegas use "File | Import DVD Camcorder Disc", this will do all the ripping necessary and ensure the footage is in the optimum format for Vegas.
    Then you talk about burning from within Vegas. Vegas doesn't have an option to burn DVDs.
    Are you talking about Vegas Movie Studio? Cos that's different (it doesn't have rendering audio as AC3 for a start - which may have made you realise we were talking at cross purposes when I mentioed that earlier)

Nevertheless, I still think this is something to do with interlacing as a program designed to play progressive footage (WMM). I'm thinking it may be to dow ith the way you're importing in the first place. Try a test with the Import DVD camcorder disc method I suggested earlier.
    Tim

7. Default

I ripped the .vob using DVD Decrypter, this is the normal precedure I use and there are usually no problems and no noticeable loss in quality.
    I do get burn options on Vegas 8 however I have never been able to burn a DVD (so I usually use Architect or Ulead Workshop 2).

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-8/1272293/VG3.JPG

Sounds like frame order wrong, that gives a similar effect of shimmering/jerkiness.

Digital Video and Field Order

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nic6 View Post
    I do get burn options on Vegas 8
    Indeed, but there is NO option to burn a DVD from Vegas Pro. Blu-ray, Video CD, Audio CD yes, but NOT DVD.

Which is why you've never been able to burn one
    Tim

10. Red face

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Indeed, but there is NO option to burn a DVD from Vegas Pro. Blu-ray, Video CD, Audio CD yes, but NOT DVD.

Which is why you've never been able to burn one
    Fair answer!
    Reference the shimmering, I haven't solved the problem with 'that' video clip yet however I have rendered others since and burnt onto DVD using Architect with no such problems.
    I changed the frame order and still no joy.
    I still have the video on my hard drive so I will rectify the problem sooner or later (by hook or by crook).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast