Thread: Stereo Input to Premier Elements

Question Stereo Input to Premier Elements

When loading a DV tape from a Sony video camera into my PC computer (XP) using Adobe Premiere Elements version 3 or 4 using a firewire connection, only one of the two stereo channels is recorded. The screen shows two channels being recorded but they are identical. An earphone verifies that the video coming from the camera has two separate audio channels. Is there some setting that I need to set in Premier to indicate sterio input rather then mono input? Does Adobe Premiere Elements only process mono inputs? I've tried two different firewire cables, two different Sony cameras, and two different PC computers, all with the same results. Advice please.

are you sure that the channels have different sound? if your using a built in mic, they'd probably have similar or even the same sound, depending on how it's set up.

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    are you sure that the channels have different sound? if your using a built in mic, they'd probably have similar or even the same sound, depending on how it's set up.
    I had a shotgun microphone attached to the camera, and a wireless hand-held mike providing the second input. Very different inputs, both important. Both mikes are heard separately when listened to with stereo earphones plugged into the camera during playback.

Does the Sony have two mic inputs? If it only has one then all the sound is recorded to one channel, a stereo mix of both microphones.

when you play back the file in something other than premiere, are the two channels separate? also when you play back the video off the camera, listen to it with the headphones, are the channels still separated?

The only video editing programs I have available are Premiere-V3, Premiere-V4 and Windows Movie Maker. Movie maker is mono only, while both versions of Premiere-Elements had the same effect (only one input channel duplicated on both audio channels on the screen).

When playing back the video tape on the camera using earphones, the two separate sterio channels are both present and very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Does the Sony have two mic inputs? If it only has one then all the sound is recorded to one channel, a stereo mix of both microphones.
    The Sony camera that I am using (PDX10) has a 2-XLR mike input option which allows the two channels to be either recorded separately (sterio) or mixed together (mixed signal sent to both channels). I had that setting to record the two inputs separately, which it did since I can hear the two separate channels when playing back the recorded tape, I just can't get them recorded in the computer by Premere as stereo channels.

ok play the captured file in something like windows media player and see if the two channels are seperated.

If you can hear each channel separately on the camcorder when you play the video then the problem must lie in Adobe Premiere, create another project but this time look at the audio settings and try to find something like sub channels or additional channels in the Audio part of the project set up. It seems that the way you have the project set up at present makes it only see one audio channel whereas you need to capture two.

Also, is there anything you need to alter in a menu on the Sony so the two audio channels are outputted and not combined into one? I haven't used that model before so it's just a shot in the dark.