Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording off the wrong channel

Default Recording off the wrong channel

(shifted this from a different section)

Hi guys,

Quite simply whilst out filming an interview the 'sound recordist' was sure that the audio coming in was coming from the microphone.

However in the edit it seems the little flicky switch was in fact not flicked and all the audio has been recorded from the internal camera microphone.

My own fault for not checking myself

Luckily the sound is loud enough, but it has that far away from the mic sound- ness. If that makes sense?

Any technical tips on how to improve the quality of the sound in the audio editing?

Cheers

Blog Entries

If it's speech you want it ' may' work to boost voice band - but it will sound weird whatever.

Noise gating - same thing applys.

Those flicky switches eh ? I have made the same error. I know physically unplug the on camera mic when not using it to avoid a repeat.

Not many cameras can do this - only pro stuff normally - on my old cmaera I taped foam over the mic to avoid same.

Hey guys , grateful for the replies.

I shall have a listen to both channels independantly but I think its all on the same one sadly.

The flicky switches control if the sound records off the internal mike, which it did, or through the XLR imput to the microphone. Alas no mixer, I say sound recordist but I mean 'other keen amateur' they had the head phones on but didn't notice. Its an easy mistake, i've made when caught up in the moment.

I have mucked about with the sound quite a bit, thorugh trial and error I can improve it but not make it sound right if you know what I mean

The sound isn't to bad in parts but some of it is a little quiet in places. When I boost it, it boosts all the fuzz and what not. Are there ways to sucessfully boost the voice without the reduction in quality?

other than that i'll have to see about doing it again I think. All a learning curve

Wait.. he had headphones on and he didn't notice?

What kind of configuration did you use? did you have a boom or lapels? because if he had a boom then he should be listening to what's coming through properly adjusting his position etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soundant View Post
    Some recordists put the camera mic on one track and the 'proper' mic on another - no idea why really but there you go - it happens.
    Two main reasons. Firstly, there's no point in recording two identical channels on the same tape. Track 2 is on the edge of the tape and most likely to have a fault, so you might as well have something different. Secondly it can be useful to have a different source of sound. If the main mic misses something (or, in the case of a lapel mic, picks up clothing noise) then you can mix in your second source to minimise the effect. It's also useful to be able to mix in a wider mic to create a more "open" sound, what's sometimes called "sound perspective".

Cheers for the info Guru. I'd never have thought of that but it does actually make a lot of sense.

Alas yes, sound recording person was wearing headphones and holding a short boom. Even with thier assurance that they could hear everything all fine. They actually couldn't.

We were pretty close to the action as it were, I think the headphones do a poor job of keeping the outside noise out. i dunno.

Your assistance is much appreciated

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Two main reasons. Firstly, there's no point in recording two identical channels on the same tape. Track 2 is on the edge of the tape and most likely to have a fault, so you might as well have something different. Secondly it can be useful to have a different source of sound. If the main mic misses something (or, in the case of a lapel mic, picks up clothing noise) then you can mix in your second source to minimise the effect. It's also useful to be able to mix in a wider mic to create a more "open" sound, what's sometimes called "sound perspective".
    Yaya - that works great when i tried it.

In this I mixed th sm58 vocal mic with the sound from a sen416 mounted on the camera. Lots of frating about with compression and rev too.

You cna hear an A / B of the technique as the the woman at 1.20 is hand held sound only. It sounds close and boxy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MspTlT22NLA]YouTube - La Dolce Vita Vox Pop Bristol[/ame]
    Last edited by Mark W; 05-26-2009 at 08:18 PM.

some good tips here that I intend to employ!

why is it that when making videos no one ever wants to bother with the sound, just chuck the dumb ass of the group the headphones and boom!

Stupid I know, but I just find sound boring to deal with on set.

Blog Entries

In my expirience most auteurs get excited about cameras - especially those with lots of stickers on - lols.

No one gets hot about sound.

It's MORE important in many films.

And personally I think mics are dam sexy - like a sort of man jewellery - almost. I love thier zen like purity - form follows function or they dont work very well.

Go back 30 years and not much looks different.

lol i get excited about cranes and different shotguns! lol i remember seeing my media techer getting worked up about camera lenses.

Anyway i always feel that sound is more importiant that video, "boom in shot?!?!?, well crop it!" is better than "We can't hear what on earth they're saying!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast