Thread: Reggie Perrin, new series, quite funny and dark.

Default Reggie Perrin, new series, quite funny and dark.

I have been watching the new series of Reggie Perrin recently, missed the first few weeks unfortunately. But I have been laughing at it as it is actually funny and quite dark in places. Is the long wait over for a good comedy to come back on our tv screens finally over?

Martin Clunes I think was a good choice to play the lead roll (grumpy old git) and Faye Ripley plays his wife, she's just like the female version of him. The canned laughter is a big mistake as it seems to be inserted every 2 seconds at the wrong place and sounds so unreal.

I like the visual gags, especially the wrecking ball hitting his mother in law.... Long may it continue and I just hope they don't change the writers half ways through as they seemed to have him and the other characters pretty well defined at this stage.

So what will he Beeb dig up next? On the buses, Man about the house, Some mothers do ave em, Rising Damp? If it means digging up tv shows from 20 or 30 years ago and updating them and as long as it is done correctly, is it really such a bad thing?

Blog Entries

Can Martin Clunes possilby hope to be as good as Leonard Rossitor? - surely not - will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I

So what will he Beeb dig up next? On the buses, Man about the house, Some mothers do ave em, Rising Damp? If it means digging up tv shows from 20 or 30 years ago and updating them and as long as it is done correctly, is it really such a bad thing?

interesting thought...
    wonder who could replace the cast of on the buses

That would be a tall order repeating the success of those shows, they were right for the time they were created in (or not right for the time depending on your point of view) but from seeing the past few weeks of this up dated version of Reggie Perrin I am quite impressed with it.

No doubt the comparisions will be made with Leonard Rossiter but it must be remembered he played him 30 years ago and from what I remember of it, it was much more darker and bordering on psycho analysis, I don't remember many laughs in it at all, could be wrong though. So in that sense is it not a new Reggie we are seeing and the writers have tried to break with the past?

Would On the Buses work today, I don't know as it used a particular plot device to hang the show on, namely working in the bus station whereas Reggie Perrin is home/office based and is more familar to people. Would a bus station/garage work today? Again it was of the time and reflected people who worked in that profession.