Thread: Best workflow using different formats?

Default Best workflow using different formats?

I am a newbie to Video editing so please forgive basic questions;
    I am putting together a Promo DVD for a music agent.
    This will consist of 4 chapters, each representing various genres of the bands she manages.
    The materials supplied consist of short movie clips in .mov, .wma, DVD (mpeg2) and Quicktime formats, as well as photos as .jpeg and .psd format. Also audio clips as .mp3 & .wav files.

Should I create seperate movies for each chapter in Vegas then export them to DVDA as sep clips or rather one long one to be cut up in DVDA?

I am using Vegas 8 and DVDA 4.5 to edit. I also have Ideal DVD to AVI converter. My output format will be PAL SG DVD.

What I need to know is what is the best workflow - do I take all the movie clips and run them through the DVD>AVI converter so I am working in just .AVI from within Vegas, or do I import them in their native formats? If this is the case, when I render to mpeg2 to transfer to DVDA, will it degrade the more compressed formats Ive used, ie .wma or quicktime?

Re the photos, do I use Photoshop to scale them down to the project size or let Vegas do that in rendering?

Any info on the most effecient way to get a good end result will be most appreciated!
    Last edited by ttrax; 05-23-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Blog Entries

I wouldnt bother with the html.

Blog Entries

Is better - lols.

Blog Entries

I dont think there is often a best way - my expirience of other editors, all non pro - is that everyone finds thier own way of working.

I tend to do everything in vegas.

I only convert files out of vegas if they play up on the timeline. Vegas is one of the best for munching most things on the time line natively - however I see you want to include compressed files - try to get the originals as they will look much better and compressed files anre not made to be edited and often cause irritating and odd problems. Random black frmaes is common, but not by any means ubiquatous.

Blog Entries

I would be inclined to let Sony Vegas deal with the DVD files (File | import | DVD Camcorder disc) and render as mpeg2, ready for the DVDs you create. This should mean no real re-encoding of the DVD files and thus leats loss of quality.
    Your imported avi files will reduce to mpeg2 (which will happen anyway when you render for DVD.

The lower resolution files (eg wmv's) won't benefit from being converted to a higher resolution (eg avi) within or without Vegas - nothing can add information which isn't there.

So long as the stills are a reasonable (ie not large) size, let Vegas do the work. If you need to reduce size in photoshop, just ensure they're the right aspect ratio and ignore pixels (pixels in photoshop are square, pixels in video are rectangulat - and different rectangles if widescreen of 4:3)

The only reason I can see for converting to avi is it might be a smoother editing process and it might well result in a quicker render. But you're not going to "add" quality - and indeed you might lose some by converting twice.
    Tim

Many thanks for your replies...that certainly settles the 'convert to AVI question', and I'll let Vegas do its job. Ultimately, what is a few extra hours rendering time if the final product is better quality! (quality over quantity any time!)

Trish