Thread: My first REAL wedding video, critique wanted!

Default My first REAL wedding video, critique wanted!

Hey you may remember I posted my first wedding video/photo vignette months ago and I fell in love with videography. Well I had a wedding again last saturday, and I put together a quick "same day edit" for them, and I was wondering if i could get your output.

Thanks!

im using the SONY HVR V1U with steadicam merlin

For a SDE = great work.
    For me, waaaaaaaaay too much steadycam.
    A wider variety of shots. i.e. tripod/floor/pan/tilt/walk in to /out of /pull focus shots, especially for the main DVD will be much more watchable.
    Well done though!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I suspect only film makers would specifically criticise the filming but I think the naaive audience will still be affected by it.

This is a good video - but it does feel like the camera is hanging from a balloon blowing around aimlessly.

Poor use of stedi cam as with many things can be worse than if it wasnt used.

Shots - regardless of grip method ( camera support ) must have a deliberate beginning middle end, and ieally these should communicate with the next shot - you have done the second bit but maybe not the first so well.

Dont be a slave to that stedi cam.

I think they are overused and overrated and often I wonder if people get kit insted of learn good camera craft first. A general point, not directed at you personally - I do the same - lols.

Agree with everything that has been said already. A few of the steadycam shots we're a bit wonky (balancing slightly seemed slightly off to me) but overall it looked pretty slick!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @fingercuffjim

Dont get me wrong I DO want one - like the sort mr finger bondage is wearing in the av above - but I am not a rich guy so I improvise with the hanging tripod method that works really well within very restrictive parameters - like my pussy feeble muscles... lols.

hey thanks for the feedback, i totally agree i overused the steadicam, i felt that too when i went back and looked at my shots, this was a decent first try on my part, i def have to leave the steadicam off for the gettin ready, i had no room to maneuver at a house

I only scanned a bit of this but appears useful.

Steadicam FAQ

Hi Blackout,

Agree with much of above. The glidecam is a tool, one of many. Don't get carried away with it. Everyone seems to be going glidecam crazy, but it really does detract when overused. Some nice footage. You did lose it a bit at 1.21!

Learn to be more creative off the glidecam. Practise composing your shots better and vary shoots accordingly.

p.s. We have recently purchased a steadicam pilot, but there is no way it's going to take over.........

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

GDR

Good imagery just a pity about the steadycam, too many of the shots are lying over to one side. When we see vertical or horizontal lines in the scene I personally like to see the camera lined up properly with them unless it is a horror movie and you want to convey dis-orientation (Dutch Tilt 30 degree lean). Too much movement aswell, the scenes are too busy with no time for the viewers eyes to rest on anything and take in the information that is on screen, slow down and have some static shots aswell.

The camera doesn't need to be moving all the time and let the action leave the frame in more shots than you following it. Good music and readable titles, which a lot of people fall down on. Next time, only use the steadycam a small bit and then use the tripod.