Thread: Annabelle - TV Teaser

Default Annabelle - TV Teaser

My 2nd video (My first being http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...m-trailer.html).

It has gone a bit dark because of the compression I think. The original is clearer. After Effects was used to give the night look (was filmed in the middle of the day) and also was used for the breath and the doll annimation.

Due to it being a bit dark it makes it a little hard to see the change in the dolls expression at the end of the clip...

Opinions?

Blog Entries

Thanks for reposting per request.

I gotta say, whilst it's clearly derivative (and what isn't?) it's been pretty well done. It certainly kept me in suspense.

I think your comments about being a little too dark for us to see enough of the detail are probably accurate. It's a tricky balance, you don't want to show too much, but you need to show enough.

Some comments:

The title was good.
    The sound made the film - you clearly undertsand the importance of it.

I'm not too sure about all the continuity of action. The film breaks the crossing the line rule many times but it sort of gets away with it because you WANT to create confusion in the viewers eyes. However I get the impression you have "got away with it" rather than understood the rules and broken them for effect.

(An example where it is clearly wrong in my eyes where the talent gets out of bed - we see him moving right to left which is then cut to a shot from a different angle showing him move left to right)

I'm not sure I like the constant switching between objective and POV shots - but that's probably just me.

I think it needed a lot more sound effect when he slipped down the stairs.

Nice set-up for the trip down the stairs, by the way. We see him step backwards, we see the stairs, we know what's about to happen. Hitchcock would be proud of you.

Nice effort.
    Tim

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's actually very interesting reading your views.

This is only my 2nd attempt at producing a short - and I have had no training, or courses in filming/editing etc so I wasn't aware of some of the things you mention. I've never heard of the "crossing the line" rule before!

I agree about the sound effects when he falls down the stairs. Sadly I couldn't find a source good enough to use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
    and I have had no training, or courses in filming/editing etc so I wasn't aware of some of the things you mention. I've never heard of the "crossing the line" rule before!
    And neither had I until a year or so after I got interested. Look it up - I'm sure you'll find loads about it. If you're into reading "The 5 Cs of Cinematography" my Josepf V Mascelli was recommended to me by Mark W of this parish and I recommend it to everyone else. Although written in 1965 it's VERY relevant (and very readable).

I agree about the sound effects when he falls down the stairs. Sadly I couldn't find a source good enough to use.
    Sometimes we forget to use our imagination. Set up a mic and record youself pushin a variety of things down stairs!
    Tim

Blog Entries

Lols - very effective use of scary devices - excellent.

As for hte night thing - noight in films need not be much darker - a bit more contrst and loads of blue does it ok.

For the doll shots, perhaps some spot lighting on just doll so that is more clearly seen with a bit of colour and less blue - prob not a post thing.

I did a horror thing ages ago with some kids and I enjoyed the edit immensely - putting on all those steps and screams and stuff was real fun.

Blog Entries

Hey more respect for teaching yourself stuff too - that 5 cs is one of my fav books.

another good book is
    The grammer of the film language by Daniel Arijon
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction