Thread: A great miniDV camcorder with hot shoe

Default A great miniDV camcorder with hot shoe

Hi,

I wonder if anyone here has any suggestions for a good miniDV camera with a hot shoe mount.

It doesn't have to have to be ground breaking... in fact I am looking for a VERY consumer level entry as my budget is somewhat constrained (probably around 300-400 max).

The hot shoe is to attach a modest shotgun microphone.

Thank you in advance

Blog Entries

Shoes on vid cams are rarely 'hot' in the usual sense of the word - just a bracket.

Shoes and mic inputs are not really that common - but almost essential really.

Out of touch with what is in the shops so i cant be specific about cameras.

I just a new camara.. The Canan HV30.. and it has a hot shoe which is truly hot.. Canon calls it AAS or advanced Accessory shoe. Its also has a separate mic imput.. I havent had the pleasure of trying it out yet.. Just going over the manual and getting familure with the controls.. it seems to b a nice little camara with almost everything manual.. I'll post back when I get a chance to shoot something..
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Seems I may be out of touch with what is on new cameras - my info may be wrong.

I cant speak for all new cameras but i know the HV30 dose.. heres a video on the camera I just got.. Althouth the guy doing the review never mentioned the hot shoe.. go figure huh? but it is there trust me

Wil

Software Used:

Thanks Chapman,

I've been seeing a few good reviews for this camera, so it's good to hear a consumer agreeing and also saying it's got what I want.

I do love how in this video one of the cameras most significant features seems to be that it comes in black!!!

Mark W

I should clarify, that in essence I probably wouldn't be needing a 'hot shoe', though it would be nice. A 'clip' would probably be sufficient - but even these seem few and far between.

Has anyone any thoughts on the HV20? It's a little cheaper... even if it is silver!
    Last edited by MaverickMills; 05-22-2009 at 12:56 AM.

I never used the HV20 but from what I gather the HV20 is a slight step down.. I know the Zoom control on the 20 was pretty bad.. easily bumped... I think some manual controls aren't there.. not sure which ones... Id look for a side by side comparison chart online and see.. Im guessing the HV20 would work well for you, but i don't know. Personaly I got mine for free. along with lenses and filters so I went with the HV30
    Wil

Software Used: