Thread: Quality of still and close up shots lost when burned to DVD

Default Quality of still and close up shots lost when burned to DVD

Hi - can anyone help me with this? I've cut in a film in FCP. For a few clips, some close ups of fabric, I've made stills of the original shots, then zoomed in on them a bit and used the motion effects to make it look as if the camera is sliding over the fabric. It looks great in FCP and also when converted to play in Quick Time but once it's burned on a DVD (via iDVD) the quality bombs and the pictures start shaking eratically. Would it make any difference if I was burning to DVD with a different type of software, like Toast? Or is it something I'm doing wrong in FCP in the first place? Also, very strangely, the same thing is happening on another image in the film of a couple of cart wheels propped against a wall. The image is still but only because the camera was poised to take a still shot. I haven't put any effects on the shot and for some random reason it flickers wildly in the same way the close up fabric shot do. Any one got any suggestions as to why all this is happening and what I can do about it? Thoughts much appreciated....

I haven't seen these kinds of problems with iDVD. What are your quicktime settings when you render from FCP?

Hi - thanks for the interest. My settings are all as normal for DV Pal although having just looked at them in a bit more detail I notice within the Video Processing tab of the Sequence Settings there's an option to adjust the motion filtering quality which apparently "selects the quality used when rendering motion tab motion effects". This sounds very appropriate to my problem. I had this set to normal and have now changed it to best. On FCP it looks fine anyway so my only way of finding out if this makes a difference is to burn it on DVD again. Will have another go and shout if this still doesn't work!
    thanks again

Blog Entries

Check the field order and lacing is correct.

A video for a pal dvd will look best in most circumstances if it is interlaced lower field first.