Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rent - Original indy 3D cartoon

Default Rent - Original indy 3D cartoon

Once more FF here

Just finished another cartoon all by myself (story, animation, voices and songs). Thanks in advance for your time and I hope you enjoy it:

more on KID YOYO

Lovely, interesting to look at and you did not cross the line.

I did struggle to understand the voices, although my hearing is stuffed.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

You goota sort the vo out - drop the level of the fx maybe and try to up the quality of the original vo recording.

Blog Entries

Seconded/thirded re the voice. I don't even bother watching your vids now because I can only make out about 20% of whats being said. And that's a shame as the bits I have understood I've quite enjoyed.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Oddly I felt the first was ok - but now it is irritating, the poor vo i mean. There is a ( funny ) thread somewhere on the forum - last week - all about getting a good vo - will link if i find it.

It sounds like you've reduced background noise with Audacity. If you have, drop the noise removal slider all the way down to the bottom, and see how much better it'll sound.

Blog Entries

My gut feeling is that the original recording is poor.

Why else would he be using noise removal? xD

Audacity's noise removal filter tends to overdo it WAY too much if left at its default setting. Even at its lowest setting it removes all the noise captured in the noise print, and sounds much better than if left at the default value.

Mathew Perks nailed it! I used Audacity's Noise removal for it. After applying this effect, I'm quite happy with the sound but I noticed all the comments say it's hard to figure out what they say, so I came back to the altered track and did a low pass and a high pass filter plus some more EQ and it sounded much better, as in crispier sounds.

When I first started I was reading the script to my laptop's inbuilt mic. Talk about poor quality! Now I record myself "acting" with a Mini-DV cam and the sound is quite good as I'm close enough to the mic. However I live near a busy road in London, and when it's quiet enough to record, I'm afraid to wake up my neighbours with these weird characters... Oh the dilemmas!

Right now I'm sound editing episodes 18 and 19 (this one you've seen was 17). After this round of critiques, I'll probably scrap what I already did and start from scratch because the mix I have now is most likely to frighten any viewers!!!

Thank you all for your criticisms and for your time. I'll work harder to deliver a better sounding episode in the near future.

Best regards,
    FF

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewPerks View Post
    Why else would he be using noise removal? xD

Audacity's noise removal filter tends to overdo it WAY too much if left at its default setting. Even at its lowest setting it removes all the noise captured in the noise print, and sounds much better than if left at the default value.
    Noise and interference occurs on quality recordings too.

What I meant, and should have said - was that i suspected the technique was poor.

Benga - laptops mic are a joke as you have found but camera mics are also often very poor.

To get the best from that cool animation i reccomend trying a shure sm58 vocal mike.

Record close to mic in the middle of a large carpeted room to reduce wall and floor reflections.

SM58 are a bargain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast