Thread: Starting and Stopping an effect

Default Starting and Stopping an effect

Hi everyone,

I'm very much new to the world of video editing and it's something I would really love to start learning more of, I'm currently using Sony Vegas 8 and I'm having problems setting a starting point and stopping point of FX.

Basically I'm making a fan edit of one of my favourite movies, I would like to lighten a particular scene as it is to dark, now when I apply the FX to lighten the scene all looks good until I play back the movie from the beginning and it's lightened everything upto and past the scene I want lightened up.

Is there a way I can stop and start an FX in Vegas? or is it a case of cutting out the desired footage and then apply the FX and then paste the footage back in?

Many thanks

Mouse

Blog Entries

You really need to read the manual.
    Look up ' keyframes ' .

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm very much new to the world of video editing and it's something I would really love to start learning more of, I'm currently using Sony Vegas 8 and I'm having problems setting a starting point and stopping point of FX.

Basically I'm making a fan edit of one of my favourite movies, I would like to lighten a particular scene as it is to dark, now when I apply the FX to lighten the scene all looks good until I play back the movie from the beginning and it's lightened everything upto and past the scene I want lightened up.

Is there a way I can stop and start an FX in Vegas? or is it a case of cutting out the desired footage and then apply the FX and then paste the footage back in?

Many thanks

Mouse
    WOW! Your using a semi advanced video editor as a beginener?OK, ill admit i used WMM only twice, but i knew the vocabulary of the editing world and that helps.
    First off, when you "cut" a video, you "split" it in sony vegas, it migth be cut in WMM or the very first editor you used.(press "S" to split in Sony vegas or go to edit>Split)
    Also, you need to learn about keyframes. my advice, try using WMM for a while, learn the absolute basics. Watch some tutorials, i only really needed to watch one on keyframing and masking to get a good start at vegas. I learned most of the other stuff by myself. After Effects was a different story. Look, if you really need some help, PM for tips and ill maybe even make a tutorial.

Many thanks for your reply's guys, I have been using a program called Digital Media Home to do some basic editing, I was mainly just cutting out sections of footage and joining them together again and I would add a wipe transition to make a nice and easy transition from footage to footage, it was a very basic program and I loved it, so I have played around with an editing program I'm just not that good at explaining things

I have been scouring the net for Keyframe tutorials and I have found that Youtube is my best friend for this

Again many thanks guys for your help

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    You really need to read the manual.
    Look up ' keyframes ' .
    or
    ensure that you are applying the the FX to the EVENT (clip) that you want lightened only - not the whole track.
    (You can apply an effect to the event, track, media or whole project)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    or
    ensure that you are applying the the FX to the EVENT (clip) that you want lightened only - not the whole track.
    FXs most certainly can be keyframed on a track. So it is NOT a case of "or". I'd say it is a case of "also". This IS valuable if the editor does not wish to make Splits (Cuts). I mention this, just so we are all paying attention?http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sony-vegas-media-studio/11834-whatts-difference-between-media-fx-video-event-fx-vegas-7-a.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I mention this, just so we are all paying attention?
    LOL

I still think it's OR though - doing it with both track FX and event FX (which is what "also" implies) would lead to madness.
    Tim