Thread: Egypt.

Default Egypt.

Right now I have some time on my hands as I recover from some nasty medical treatment. I've been rummaging through my tape box and actually getting around to making something of watchable from all those holiday reels.

I don't know about you but I always trawl through my holiday footage and despair at the stuff I took - usually quickly, usually without much thought to composition, hoping to get a feel of the place quickly before the camcorder becomes an 'issue' (I have a very understanding long-suffering wife, but I know that me traipsing around with a tripod and looking for nice arty angles won't necessarily be in order - unless there is a shady bar nearby where she can retreat to!)

So here is a quick cut of some footage from our 2007 sojourn to Luxor.

Music's called Egyptian Dawn, and is one of my own ditties

Blog Entries

I'd never dream of taking a tripod on holiday, but you can steady those shots by following a few pointers:
    • cradle a small camera with both hands in front of you. It's far easier to keep something steady with two hands - you never see a golfer using one arm to putt. Keep the camera lower than eye level to ensure your arms don't tire. This has the added benefit of being far more discreet.
    • rest the camera on a wall or a table. These are much sturdier than your arm. This also has added benefits:
      • You normally end up with much more interesting shots
      • It's far more discreet
    It's always hard to film on holiday and not a) look like a lunatic and b) piss evryone off. As a compromise, I normally shoot it short bursts, and tend to only get my camera out when I see something. You may miss something, but generally you know what makes a good shot before you start filming.

marc - thanks for some of the tips. I have to say, you're spot on with the holding the cam lower thing, and I have been discovering that surfaces are my friend.

So... did anyone like the music?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOneMusic View Post

guess not then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOneMusic View Post
    Thought we were meant to be commenting on video, not music

To be honest is seemed to me to be a bit like a westerner trying to do Egyptian and not quite getting there (not that I have any knowledge at all of Egyptian music other than some suppoosedly authenti stuff recorded by a mate when he did the whole Luxor thing a few years back).

Given you're a western musician, I think a better result might have been if you'd gone for a more western basis and incorporated some Egyptian/North African flavour. Difficult to explain, but Page & Plant seemed to manage it somehow on their first joint effort post Zep. And Gabriel, of course, manages to incorporate all sorts of world music in his stuff which is still instantly recognisable as western with (other countries/cultures) influences.

Having said that the music & video work well together and all credit to you for having the bottle to attempt to incorporate rhythms and melodies from a different culture.
    Tim

Thanks Tim.

Actually I'm quite pleased by your comments. Because what I was aiming at with the music was very much east meets west. It was my *western* response to what we saw and heard while in Egypt.

And of course unlike Jim-bob, Robert and Peter, I don't have the option to scout the world for local talent to work with. I saw Pagy and Plant on the unleaded tour (fab BTW) and they had a whole slew of ethnic artists up on stage with them, including a full Egyptian string section (supplementing members of a full western orchestra).

I'm not making that an excuse either, your comments are a valid criticism.

On to the video.

Right now I'm working on a second cut, with some scenes given some extra grading. I'm also thinking that there are some alternative shots (in amongst the hour-ish of raw footage ) that might help the narrative along.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look (and listen)

7. Default

Nice footage,

But i would love to see more steady shot, maybe some soft dolly look a like. The hand or shoulder cam is not verry effective to film static objects.
    Television Technician
    - My Videos -
    Sorry for my bad english im french

I know, the one thing I'm painfully aware of is the handheld cam movement on a lot of those shots. But I suspect that we're unlikely to pop back in the near future to reshoot it. One thing I found out on that holiday was if you are on a group excursion they really don't give you time to do any video. I have a long suffering wife who, bless her will amuse herself while I poke the camera at stuff. But a coachload of tourists eager to get to the giftshop is an entirely different thing.

on the pluss side, since hanging out here I've been picking up tips aplenty to help me improve shots, even in a holiday context. thats why I like it here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    Nice footage,

But i would love to see more steady shot, maybe some soft dolly look a like. The hand or shoulder cam is not verry effective to film static objects.
    Maybe your dolly needs pumping up a bit? Lols.

I am becoming a born again locked off tripod user. I think many, if not most scenic stuff is best shot locked off standing 6 foot from the camera.

Hollywood has made us all into fidgit arse fiddlers when we film. Resist the urge to pan or zoom and you seem to create a very focusing effect.

Great music I tht. Synergy. Cut tight in all the right ways - didnt seem slavishly done.

As for wobbly - well I dont think holiday video should be anything but a bit wobbly hand held.