Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other peoples' holidays

Blog Entries

Default Other peoples' holidays

Did something I've not done for a long time yesterday: edited other peoples home videos. The couple had never filmed before, but wanted to capture their holiday after seeing a few of my videos. Needless to say, it's now 6 months since their holiday, and nothing's been edited. So I said I'd take a look and see what I can do. This is the result of about 3 hours of video:

Probably took about 3 hours to edit together, plus time for rendering. Not exactly a polished job, but created something watchable I feel. This was done as a favour, but do you think anyone would pay for this kind of service? My thoughts are no... but just how many people have old video that no-one can be bother to edit let alone watch?

A very good montage with lots of visual variety, even though he did wave to the camera a lot of times. Where some of those shots taken from a helicopter? Liked the music aswell it really suited it, the ending was a little bit abrupt and the tilt down from the bridge column looked underexposed but minor niggles I agree. Perhaps a shot of them arriving at their hotel would have ended it. Anyway good job. It wouldn't hurt to advertise such a service.

Blog Entries

A very watchable film, Marc. Helped by some surprisingly good content for first-timers. Whoever filmed clearly has an eye for a good shot that an editor can make use of - which makes it all the more surprising they haven't had a go themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Probably took about 3 hours to edit together,
    Even if that's in addition to three hours of viewing the raw footage that's a pretty good work rate.

As for your question would people pay for this? I think the answer is probably "Yes".

Would they pay enough to make it worth your while? Probably not - even if you really can knock that out in three hours. I'm guessing that if they've paid for a camera and media and filmed all their shots themselves they've got the source that they can always watch and skip through. How much is it worth to them to have a good edit? My guess is 49.99.

Would they expect results as good as you've achieved here? Yes. (Especially if you use this as an example)

Would you be able to achieve it? Not unless the source was as good as this.

Would they have any idea how much work you put into it? No.

BUT If you enjoy doing it, why not make a bit of pocket money? I'm sure there's a market but you need to do a bit of research and find out what people are willing to pay (my guess is based on nothing more than gut feeling)

On the other hand, if anyone has any home videos of the erotic kind, I'd be only too happy to edit them for free
    Tim

Blog Entries

I'd put this as typical of the of the camera work I've had to work with in the past (I've edited a fair few weddings in the past for a fee - which was around the 250 mark). I binned a lot of footage which I could (should?) have included, but rejected due to aesthetics.

I see the challenge as striking a balance between including what the client expects to see and what camera work can't be used. When editing wedding (filmed by guests), I'd initially start by using only the footage I felt was passable. After the first edit, the client would ALWAYS come back and ask for certain things to be included. Only then would I start the compromise. And that's what takes the time - you will always end up re-editing because what you see as an editor is different from what they see as the client.

Three hours of my work isn't worth 50. So it's clearly not a money making opportunity on those rates. Unfortunately 50 is, I'd say, what people would expect to pay for such a service. So then, as you say, it's downn to whether I would want to do this as a bit of fun.

I would say that with sufficient footage, I can repeat these results. The ratio for achieving this is about 1 hour per edited minute in my experience. You always get a few gems in amongst the sky shots! However, as soon as the client expects you to capture and present a final DVD, it's a loss making exercise.

In two minds!

Blog Entries

So, unless you do want to do it for fun (which I'm sure would lose its appeal pretty quickly), we really need to see what price the market would stand. How you'd go about that I've really no idea - other than asking people who've got holiday footage that they might consider having edited. And I suppose there must be loads of those.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    A very good montage with lots of visual variety, even though he did wave to the camera a lot of times. Where some of those shots taken from a helicopter? Liked the music aswell it really suited it, the ending was a little bit abrupt and the tilt down from the bridge column looked underexposed but minor niggles I agree. Perhaps a shot of them arriving at their hotel would have ended it. Anyway good job. It wouldn't hurt to advertise such a service.
    I think the shots that looked like from a camera were from a boat. They typically offer great shots as the gentle movement makes for a decent slow pan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    So, unless you do want to do it for fun (which I'm sure would lose its appeal pretty quickly), we really need to see what price the market would stand. How you'd go about that I've really no idea - other than asking people who've got holiday footage that they might consider having edited. And I suppose there must be loads of those.
    I agree. The easiest way would, of course, be to use these pages to advertise. I know a bloke that can give me a discount .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I agree. The easiest way would, of course, be to use these pages to advertise. I know a bloke that can give me a discount .
    For some reason I can't put my finger on, I'm not sure the readers here would pay someone else to edit their footage. In fact I often see posts from people asking "Where can I get some footage - I want to learn to edit"

(Now there's an idea - take fee from people who want footage edited AND take a fee from people who want original footage on which to hone their skills. 50 each, very little time spent, no computer time spent, job done. You might not want to put your name to it though)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    (Now there's an idea - take fee from people who want footage edited AND take a fee from people who want original footage on which to hone their skills. 50 each, very little time spent, no computer time spent, job done. You might not want to put your name to it though)
    You're an evil genius.

On a serious note, the forums are visited by many short stayed browsers. I'd say more than 50% are here because they're looking for short cuts to editing. What better short cut than someone else editing for them?
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 05-18-2009 at 10:57 PM.

So there is three hours of video, condensed into just over 2 mins of video, the process took three hours.

The issue related to endless hours of footage is a very common one, a stamp of the digital age we live in where pushing that red record button costs literally nothing. Not that I am from the super 8 film era I bet this was not a issue back then.

The real cost is associated in removing all the excessive red button pushing, that cost can easily be directly related to the TIME sitting at a computer doing the removal work. Basically I see no argument a fee could be attached to sorting out this raw footage from a holiday, I am pretty sure the result will be reviewed many times more than the raw video.

Looks like 8 hours of work to me as I don't do half days.
    Last edited by rollingstock; 05-18-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: time
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast