Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Yoga Videos & Chroma Key - Technical Help

  1. #1

    Smile Yoga Videos & Chroma Key - Technical Help

    I am new to video production, but I am looking to create a series of Yoga videos for online use. They would be sold online, after production which will include indexing of words used in the tutorial (using voice recognition). I have an instructor interested and I am addressing the issue of Chroma Key.

    I want to place the instructor at a scenic location, such as a sunny beach, or on a mountain. Several professional Yoga DVD's are filmed that way, as it adds to the general feel of relaxation.

    I understand how the wall can be a blue screen, but what about the floor? I am a little unclear how the floor could also be used to allow the new landscape video to be added.

    I talked to a retailer when trying to buy the screens, but he said Chroma Key only worked for walls.

    Yoga needs the floor to be filmed as many postures involve the floor, eg sitting on the floor.

    Does anyone have any help on using Chroma Key to film Yoga (ie the whole person would need filming) and what equipment is best to buy? I googled the equipment side of this, and I got a huge amount of hardware and software information: too much to understand.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Western Europe
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    It only works on the wall? Never heard that one before, anywho, just get a much bigger cloth that you can hang on the wall and will also cover the floor. Light it correctly so you have no shadows, especially where the wall and floor meet. And also keep the talent as far away from the background as possible. Get yourself a mini dv camcorder (tape), good sold tripod, a few lights, an external mic possilby tie clip so it can be attached to the talents clothes to pick up what he/she is saying.

    A firewire cable to connect the camcorder to your computer and some editing software. Download some of the 30 day trial software listed on this forum and try a few different versions out and see which one you like best. If this is a one off project you may be able to do the entire project using a 30 day trial software so you don't have to buy it.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    It only works on the wall? Never heard that one before, anywho, just get a much bigger cloth that you can hang on the wall and will also cover the floor. Light it correctly so you have no shadows, especially where the wall and floor meet. And also keep the talent as far away from the background as possible. Get yourself a mini dv camcorder (tape), good sold tripod, a few lights, an external mic possilby tie clip so it can be attached to the talents clothes to pick up what he/she is saying.

    A firewire cable to connect the camcorder to your computer and some editing software. Download some of the 30 day trial software listed on this forum and try a few different versions out and see which one you like best. If this is a one off project you may be able to do the entire project using a 30 day trial software so you don't have to buy it.
    Thanks for your discerning comments.

    You mentioned "tape." I had assumed digital was better. My brother thought tape would be better, but when I googled this, almost all returns were digital.

    Are there any particular noteworthy points about tape v digital?

    Do you know where landscape videos are available, eg beaches?

    I work frequenly with contract staff in India, so I am asking them to film something in India (which I imagine has a lot of scenery), but it seems better to buy a landscape video.

    I think this project may develop as it seems like the concepts have a lot of mileage.

  4. #4

    Default

    er... tape IS digital! Has been for some years now! DV Tape = Digital Video Tape.

    Other forms of storage notably solid state, and hard disk tend to use compression algorithms more severe than tape (For DV there is no data compression) so the quality is still higher. Even for HD

    Better solid state formats are arriving, but only a at the pro level and $$$

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Posts
    4,465
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merrows View Post
    ..I talked to a retailer when trying to buy the screens, but he said Chroma Key only worked for walls....
    I never cease to be amazed at what rubbish salesmen spout. If they don't know, why can't they just admit it? (Chroma key will work on the moon if you want it too by the way).

    Your concept does have some mileage, although not new or original. I've worked with an organisation that does online yoga and tai-chi downloadable lessons and they sell well.

    When we shot their first DVD, we chose a Japanese water garden as the backdrop. Worked very well indeed. I fear your vids may look cheap if you're not very careful with what you're proposing. You'll have to an awful lot of work with lighting in particular to make it look right.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    I never cease to be amazed at what rubbish salesmen spout. If they don't know, why can't they just admit it? (Chroma key will work on the moon if you want it too by the way).

    Your concept does have some mileage, although not new or original. I've worked with an organisation that does online yoga and tai-chi downloadable lessons and they sell well.

    When we shot their first DVD, we chose a Japanese water garden as the backdrop. Worked very well indeed. I fear your vids may look cheap if you're not very careful with what you're proposing. You'll have to an awful lot of work with lighting in particular to make it look right.
    I am not saying it is new or original, but as a Yoga activist I can see very little (almost none), online Yoga that is about teaching and doing at the same time. So the market is very open.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    8,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Andy - some people actually think the moon landings were chromkeyed in. Lols.

    As for your video - my first response is that you may end up in more knots than you expect.

    Training vidoes are quite an art and doing good chromakeying that will belnd well with a ' live' outside shot is head splittingly complex.

    If it doesnt look seemless it looks awaful.

    I wonder if real people in real locations may not be better ?

    The video learning curve is often exponential.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Andy - some people actually think the moon landings were chromkeyed in. Lols.

    As for your video - my first response is that you may end up in more knots than you expect.

    Training vidoes are quite an art and doing good chromakeying that will belnd well with a ' live' outside shot is head splittingly complex.

    If it doesnt look seemless it looks awaful.

    I wonder if real people in real locations may not be better ?

    The video learning curve is often exponential.
    I can try just a normal shoot but in the UK there are not many Yoga types of scenic places, and the few that do exist would increase costs wildly in going there.

    I need either a mountain, or a sunny beach without any people/rubbish and blue clean water. The water is mostly unclean of the coast, so that means a lake. There is a lake nearby, so maybe I could try that.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Andy - some people actually think the moon landings were chromkeyed in. Lols.

    As for your video - my first response is that you may end up in more knots than you expect.

    Training vidoes are quite an art and doing good chromakeying that will belnd well with a ' live' outside shot is head splittingly complex.

    If it doesnt look seemless it looks awaful.

    I wonder if real people in real locations may not be better ?

    The video learning curve is often exponential.
    After replying, I googled this and found [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7drLSbrHft0]YouTube - Namaste Yoga Video 5 minute Preview[/ame] which looks like it has a lot of chromakeying. What do you think of that video?

    Aside from the technical side, which looked OK, the actual teaching method is far too fast and complex which I think is a common issue with Yoga videos. Postures are normally held for longer periods, and the videos just rush through the postures showing the techniques.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    8,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Not chromakey - nearly all real locations I am certain. Moving shots with chromakey are very technically daunting.

    You will not be able to produce anything with those sorts of production values without spending 1000s.

    It was professionally lit and they had some very comlex camera suppost euipment - a crane a stedicam for sure.

    And dishy professional models - lols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Technical Effect
    By Xeijin in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 10:55 PM
  2. Technical Difficulties? (Vegas 4.0)
    By Jason-dam in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 01:06 PM
  3. Get creative, not technical
    By Marc Peters in forum Forum Announcements and News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 12:14 PM
  4. Technical confusion
    By Dj_Trigger in forum The Perfect Video Editing PC
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 12:59 AM
  5. technical questions
    By canadonian in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 07:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •