Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Camera Work

Default Hollywood Camera Work

I bought the Hollywood Camera Work DVD course (see: Hollywood Camera Work - Film School, Film Directing, Filmmaking, Cinematography) a couple of years ago. I learned a lot from it, and use it for reference. This same company has just released a new 7-DVD course on Special Effects. There is a Trailer about the new course and an outline at this link:Visual Effects For Directors Pre-Order

I'm placing this "pimp" endorsement on this forum because the guy who produces these courses, Per Holmes, has really put out some great material that is worth the price. Even those with lots of filmmaking experience can learn something new from this director's tutorials.

By the way, I have also purchased the new Effects course and took advantage of the introductory discount he is offering. Anyway, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    By the way, I have also purchased the new Effects course and took advantage of the introductory discount he is offering. Anyway, check it out.
    My new 7-DVD set of Director's Effects arrived here in Kuwait yesterday. I watched the first DVD and learned more about 3-D modeling, animation and lighting than I ever imagined. It demystified for me many special effects concepts. I am certainly getting my money's worth out of this outstanding course.

3. Default

looks epic like the ultime epic set.
    Really nice, but looks like big budget production trainning and you need some advanced skill in 3d modeling and post software.

Still a epic package.
    Television Technician
    - My Videos -
    Sorry for my bad english im french

Blog Entries

Do you mean that it isnt that usefull for auteur types like me? More a professional resource ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Do you mean that it isnt that usefull for auteur types like me? More a professional resource ?
    The material certainly goes into high-end techniques, but the materials covered are certainly of interest for lower lifeforms like myself. For example, in DVD two it covered basics of compositing and green screening, why keys fail and how to avoid certain pitfalls on the shoot to avoid problems in post. It also explained 2-D and 3-D node tracking techniques, corner grabbers and plainer tracking. These examples were shown using a software system called Fusion. And, although Fusion is a compositing software that, for now, is well beyond my affordable price range, understanding the principles of the techniques will help me greatly in working with mattes and composites in using my Sony Vegas software.

The course IS NOT intensive on any particular software system, but the 'tricks of the trade' that are available to directors and DPs to get best results. In sum, it is a great THEORY course.
    Last edited by worddigger; 05-27-2009 at 04:14 AM.

another good resource is john cooksy's elite video.. he packs a lot of information onto each dvd.. I have every videography dvd he has.. There not overly priced and well worth every cent.. He shows some tricks to use on low budget.. Like $45 contractor worklights.. The stuff she shows isn't trends or fads but things that will never gp out of style.. One thing to not tho.. These are not professionaly pressed disc.. their burned not replicated and they have simple menues like you get off a home dvd recorder.. The quality is still outstanding.. Might be right up ur alley Mark..

Elite Video - Videos for Videographers

one more thing the ABC set I would reccomend 1st.. the lighting and chromakey video goes more indept on lighting but the ABC is probably the best.. if any one has questions or needs me to look something up i can
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Well, I'm about half-way through the 7-DVD set and my head is spinning from information overload. But I am not complaining. I have learned a considerable amount of information on how to interface 3D animation and props into live action 2D shots using motion-tracking and compositing and how to make live action actors interact with the 3D world. I am also finding myself drooling over a lot of really neat software and hardware systems that are way beyond my budget ability. However, I now know how many really cool motion effects we see in some TV commercials and movies are created. This has greatly demystified many things for me.

One thing that I am really coming to appreciate about this course is that they show you how to avoid many pitfalls on the shoot that will/could complicate work issues in post. There are plenty of things in this course that are VERY helpful to even us amateur editing junkies. I may not be able to afford to do some of these things, but at least I will better know my limitations, and know what is possible and what is not.

I'll post again as I progress through the material.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    I'll post again as I progress through the material.
    Here is my final report:
    First, I want to thank Per Holmes for the OUTSTANDING treatment of Green Screen techniques in the new Visual Effects for Directors DVD course. I learned so much from the DVDs, not only concerning green screening, but on the concepts of motion tracking and movement tracking and animation. The latter is a field I am just now beginning to work with.

My biggest disappointment with the course was learning that the 4:1:1 DV compression of my AG-DVX100 Panasonic camera was one of my biggest adversaries in getting a clean key. When the narrator said that they were doing their keying in the course using a "cheap" camera, and obviously referring to a Panasonic HDX200, my heart really sank, as that was going to be my replacement buy. Can anyone recommend a better camera that would make a more sensible upgrade?

I also drooled over all the nifty software used in the course. I was very impressed with Fusion 5. But then when I went to see how much it cost, I damn near fainted; it was more expensive than my present camera.

In short, Per's new course was a real eye-opener: It certainly demystified many concepts in the filmmaking process, especially when working with both the real and virtual 3D worlds. Priceless! Unfortunately, it also opened my eyes to the reality that, equipment and software wise, I am doomed to stay in the minor leagues for some time to come, because my present set of toys just ain't gonna cut it. As Robin Williams once said, "Realty. What a concept!"

Do I still recommend the course? Absolutely!

Thanks for sharing that, Im actualy looking into buying those dvds now..
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Default Free Special Effects Practice Resources

Follow up message:

If you are getting onto green screen, compositing or motion tracking software, and are looking for some nifty practice materials, here is some very good news:

Following the release of the Special Effects for Directors tutorial DVD set by Per Holmes and the crew at Hollywood Camera Work, they have now made many of the green screen and compositing materials used in the tutorial available for free download and practice use.

Visit the Hollywood Camera Works website (see links at bottom of page) and check out the free Green Screen Plates and Tracking Plates that you can use to practice matchmoving, tracking, keying and compositing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast