Thread: Sliding a still graphic over video

Default Sliding a still graphic over video

I am looking to do an overlay Slide in (think when watching the news the logo slides in from the left or bottom. or when they scroll in a black bar and then the Text comes over the black bar (usually name or location) then it slides back off screen.

Is there an easy way to achieve this or a tutorial you can point me to?

Thanks in advance, as i am trying to learn.

X! Thanks for eXplaining what you are wanting to achieve. I really DO wish that others would follow your eXemplary eXample . .

OK . .

What Vegas s/w you using? But in principle what we all do is:

1] Track 1 = Logo

2] Track 2 = Video

3] Using Pan/Crop to Zoom out the Logo ( or better yet, make the logo within the size format of your video in a graphics package) and then position over Video. OR if you have a Vegas that does Track Motion, use that.

If you get this far I am sure you can pick up just how to "time" the sliding in and out. It's a lot of fun and makes your creation Step-Up to another level. Go for it!

DONE!

Ah! I have just seen your previous post, and I can see at once:

A] You have Track Motion

and . .

B] You know what to do to get transparent Logos onto your video! My apologies . . .

OK, then this is ALL about movement of the Logo. Use Track Motion. It is an Icon within the Track Header. It is defined by 2 Frames appearing to be in 2 positions - Track Motion? Well, anyway, click on that within the Track Header of your Track that contains your Logo. Once there it WILL be very straightforward . . .

You could also try Pan/Crop. See if you get along with that and see if there is a quality improve over and above Track Motion.

Blog Entries

Funnily enough I did exactly this for a spoof news video this week, but I did it using the slide transition as suggested as a possibility by the OP.

On you "logo" or "black bar" event, make a fade in and fade out. (drag the top corners inwards to get the segment shape.
    Drop a slide transition over the fade which will turn it into a slide.
    The advantage of this over using TM is that you can simply copy the event to other areas in the timeline if you want to repeat it (in my case for different captions). With TM, you'd have to copy the keyframes as well.

So many ways to break an egg ...

EDIT: Here's the vid I made using the above mentioned technique (posted in the user vids section of this forum)

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...s-outrage.html
    Last edited by TimStannard; 05-16-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Tim

Ah yes, Tim, much better solution than the cumbersome TMs. Transitions - very useful indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Funnily enough I did exactly this for a spoof news video this week, but I did it using the slide transition as suggested as a possibility by the OP.

On you "logo" or "black bar" event, make a fade in and fade out. (drag the top corners inwards to get the segment shape.
    Drop a slide transition over the fade which will turn it into a slide.
    The advantage of this over using TM is that you can simply copy the event to other areas in the timeline if you want to repeat it (in my case for different captions). With TM, you'd have to copy the keyframes as well.

So many ways to break an egg ...

EDIT: Here's the vid I made using the above mentioned technique (posted in the user vids section of this forum)

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...s-outrage.html

THANKS soo much everyone. I haven't done it yet but will try over the next few days your sample video has exactly what i am looking to do in it. So i will try it that way first. I will let yall know how it comes out. thanks!

ok so i got it to work with a still image using track motion in your video you scroll in text with a motion background how do you do that (I am a novice ).

Is that just a motion background sized down then text overlayed on it? then using track motion to bring it in and out?

ok so i figured it out. I am using some loop motions but my questions is any easy way to sink up overlay text and the motion background coming in Used key framing in the track motion to make it work. but for the text to come in and out at the same placement and rate as the motion background i had to do like 20 keyframes where for the motion coming in and out only had to do like 5.

Blog Entries

In my example I didn't actually slide the text in and out - only the background. The text appears once the background has fully slid in and disappears immediately before it slides out.
    IMO this looks better than sliding the text in/out with the background however it could easily be done - just use text as one of the tracks in the following....

I didn't complicate the issue before, but can explain now that the background is in fact TWO tracks - a solid white with a generated media fusion (giving the motion background) above. They are both resized using pan and crop - the white being slightly taller which provides the thin white border to the track.

I could have made the white track a child of the motion background then used parent track motion to sync the movement of the two tracks. But I didn't. As mentioened before I did NOT use track motion. I simply used slide (actually "push") transitions. It's easy to sync these up with Vegas's snapping set on.

See below: Tracks 5 and 6 contain the moving graphics and the white background. You can see the "push" transitions are exactly lined up and hence play in sync. BTW the fact that the motion graphic extends to the right beyond the white is by design and not a problem with synchronisation.

Last edited by TimStannard; 05-17-2009 at 09:26 AM.
    Tim

thank you that helps!