Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please return the favour...

Blog Entries

Default Please return the favour...

This section of the site is far more beneficial to all when more people feedback to others.

People who post films should feel under an obligation to return the genorosity of others.

Well said Mark.

With the hit and run nature of many linked videos to this area getting feedback has become almost limited to a club of 5 forum members.

Mind you that feedback is always right on target.

While there are people coming here just to gather views I expect not much will change.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Hey im new to video editing and to this site,
    Id love to be able to reply to threads but as my experience isnt great yet, i just like to look at people videos and then at all the advice that people have replied, this is a great way for me to learn.
    I mean this is where i am at the moment, i just did 60+ short video tours for offices, like this:

i know there not great and have a long long way to go!

4. Default

i try to give 3 feedback immedialty after posting a video ... and post feedback after when i have time to come to the forum .... like ... you know .... just posting
    Television Technician
    - My Videos -
    Sorry for my bad english im french

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1234 View Post
    Hey im new to video editing and to this site,
    Id love to be able to reply to threads but as my experience isnt great yet, ...
    I made that mistake when I first joined. Then I realised that comments from inexperienced movie makers are every bit as valuable as those from experienced ones.
    You may not spot some inconsistencies in lighting or have the terminology to explain why something did or didn't work ...

BUT

... you know what you did like and didn't like about a film and whether it worked/didn't work and what you thought of the story, character, language, music etc etc etc etc.

You have a lifetimes experience of watching films and videos and so you are highly qualified to be a critic.

And more important than all of that ... filmmakers make films to be watched by people, not just other filmmakers. So all views are valid and welcome.

If you're concerned about making a criticism which is thought of as "ignorant", (a) being ignorant is nothing to be ashamed of unless you're unwilling to learn, (b) anyone who disagrees with you're view has to explain their own view - and there's no reason why theirs should be any more valid than yours, and
    (c) (if you're a real wimp!) you can always start "I'm a newbie to filmmaking and I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise but....."

And, we're a friendly bunch. Even when we fight.

So I urge you to comment on films - you'll be more respected for it.
    Tim

6. Default

Hey, it's a very dry subject matter and thus the shots are very dry too but as a means of communicating the appeal of the offices it works very well.

Nice voice over Matt. You need to get a bit more style in there though - a few Dutch tilts and rolls would help. Also, way too many cross fades which gives it an amateurish look. Simple cuts are far more effective for this kind of thing. Have a watch of some TV advertisements to get a few more ideas. These guys have perfected the art!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I made that mistake when I first joined. Then I realised that comments from inexperienced movie makers are every bit as valuable as those from experienced ones.
    You may not spot some inconsistencies in lighting or have the terminology to explain why something did or didn't work ...

BUT

... you know what you did like and didn't like about a film and whether it worked/didn't work and what you thought of the story, character, language, music etc etc etc etc.

You have a lifetimes experience of watching films and videos and so you are highly qualified to be a critic.

And more important than all of that ... filmmakers make films to be watched by people, not just other filmmakers. So all views are valid and welcome.

If you're concerned about making a criticism which is thought of as "ignorant", (a) being ignorant is nothing to be ashamed of unless you're unwilling to learn, (b) anyone who disagrees with you're view has to explain their own view - and there's no reason why theirs should be any more valid than yours, and
    (c) (if you're a real wimp!) you can always start "I'm a newbie to filmmaking and I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise but....."

And, we're a friendly bunch. Even when we fight.

So I urge you to comment on films - you'll be more respected for it.
    This makes me want to comment on other people's videos more now. Thanks!

9. Default

I try to give feedback when I can, but like many have said before.. I don't think I have enough experience to give good enough feedback, that is what I fear.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harrysfunzoneboy View Post
    I don't think I have enough experience to give good enough feedback.
    So you haven't watched any films and decided what you like and what you don't like?
    Feedback from everyone is invaluable. I'm sure you don't make films just for other filmmakers and love to hear comments from young and old alike about your own films.
    And I don't think ANYONE has EVER been criticised here for posting "inexperienced" feedback. The worst that happens is we agree to disagree with opinions.
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 01-22-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast