Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with cut/trim in Vegas 9... any help please?

Default Problem with cut/trim in Vegas 9... any help please?

Hi there - first post!

I have a number of AVI clips created on a flip ultra and sitting on my PC hard disk.
    I wish to simply cut a few seconds off of front and back of each clip. I tried with Sony Vegas 9 Platinum but it appears I have to render a new movie each time (with various options) after trimming off the ends.

Is it possible to do this simple cutting function and retain the uncut AVI portion as original?

Thanks for your help folks,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    I have a number of AVI clips created on a flip ultra
    - What is "flip ultra"?

I wish to simply cut a few seconds off of front and back of each clip. I tried with Sony Vegas 9 Platinum but it appears I have to render a new movie each time (with various options) after trimming off the ends.
    - That is not how any of the Vegas suite works. You have something going on very very wrong.

Is it possible to do this simple cutting function and retain the uncut AVI portion as original?
    - YES! - I do this every day. ALL of the Vegas family prides itself on making non-destructive editing.

You need to supply more info.

Grazie, thanks for the fast reply.

I'll answer your 4 points:
    1 - It's a budget video camera
    2 - OK
    3 - Great! How do you do it?
    4 - Here's more info:

I open Vegas, import avi clip into Project Media tab, drag it onto timeline no 3 (video). Video appears there as does the audio on track 4 (voice). Preview window shows video, play button plays video and audio. Then I click on a frame for edit point 1, click 'S' to split, click again on section to be deleted, delete it, do similar with end segment.

Now I'm left with the cropped clip and don't know how to save/remove it AS IS. :(
    I have tried Save as (only option is .vf file?). Render as and Make Movie both require a new video to be rendered.

What am I doing that's wrong or ... what am I not doing that's correct?

Don

What am I doing that's wrong or ... what am I not doing that's correct?
    - Well not a lot at all. If you HAVE done anything wrong it is you need to get grip on the "naming" of the items used within VegasPlat. So:

1] A VF file is the Project file. Its suffix "VF" came from the original company Sonic Foundry that owned the video editing s/w - VideoFactory - hence the project files have the suffix "vf". OK, you can save a Project file as DonProject1.vf - or DonProject2.vf or anything you want: Wedding10043.vf and so on and so on. The project holds ALL the Media you have worked on. It, the Project File, in itself is NOT Media.

2] Now VF files contain many types of Media: Video, Sound, Stills and so on. When you have them up there on the Timeline these lumps of Media are referred to as "Events". Now you can alter these Events: trim; cut; FX and so. But all you/I/we are doing is making adjustments to the Event, NOT the underlying Media. We ONLY create another transferable piece of Media when we then Render that Timeline with all the altered Events.

So what you are doing is Saving the Project. You are NOT making a transferable piece of media. To do that, you need to render that Timeline or a part of that timeline.

So your comment:
    Now I'm left with the cropped clip and don't know how to save/remove it AS IS. :(
    I have tried Save as (only option is .vf file?). Render as and Make Movie both require a new video to be rendered.
    . . is correct, in so much as you are SAVING the Project. What you NEED to do is to Render those items on the Timeline you want.

Highlight by making a Loop Selection and go:

File > Render As > and check "Render Loop Region only" - this will ensure you render that which you want.

If you go the "Make Movie" route then you need to hit the "Advanced Render" button - and this will in turn bring you to the same Menu as I said above: File > Render As . . . .

What YOU have done is to mistake "Save As" as a "Render As". I did the self same thing . . .several years back, and I can sympathise with your query - not a problem!!!

So: Vegas IS a non-destructive NLE ( non-linear-editor); Save AS saves the Project file; Render As or Make Movie gives you a final avi, wmv, mpeg . . or whatever.

Now having said ALL this when you DO render out you should see your edits having taken effect. But, as you will realise you do NOT need to render anything until you are finished. Now you MAY want to render sections for other reasons and bring them back into the VF file timeline, but that is another story . . . .

Blog Entries

I have to admit I was puzzled by your first reply Grazie. I read the original question as can the original file be saved trimmed without a new file. Techically, yes. But I think where lines have been crossed is in the interpretation. He does have to make a new file to save the changes 'forever'.

Agree?

I think the OP thinks he can use the original vid trimmed in Vegas without doing any more....

So my take on it is, yes, Vegas trims without 'hurting' the original file, but to use the 'trimmed' video elsewhere, he'll need to render a new file.

I would agree that Don's is a very common newbie "misunderstanding" of how Vegas works. Having gone to some length to explain the differences between VF and Media files, I'd hope that this has assisted our friend.

Blog Entries

Hi there - first post!

I have a number of AVI clips created on a flip ultra and sitting on my PC hard disk.

Thanks for your help folks,
    Don
    So, for the avoidance of any doubt, you render a new AVI (or whatever format you require) file after you've cut off the offending bits, and that retains your original, giving you TWO files - your original and your 'cut' version.

Aha!
    Thanks for the detailed and clear explanations...

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    - ... you need to get grip on the "naming" of the items used within VegasPlat. So:
    1] A VF file is the Project file. The project holds ALL the Media you have worked on. It, the Project File, in itself is NOT Media.
    OK, I've got that now ('Aha' moment #1)

- 2] We ONLY create another transferable piece of Media when we then Render that Timeline with all the altered Events.
    So what you are doing is Saving the Project. You are NOT making a transferable piece of media. To do that, you need to render that Timeline or a part of that timeline.
    Yep, NOW I see ('Aha' moment #2)

-
    What YOU have done is to mistake "Save As" as a "Render As"
    Exactly! ('Aha' #3)

- So: Vegas IS a non-destructive NLE ( non-linear-editor); Save AS saves the Project file; Render As or Make Movie gives you a final avi, wmv, mpeg . . or whatever.
    My simple mind was thinking in terms of editing a roll of celluloid with a pair of scissors, then placing the cropped film into a projector. Didn't realise it had to be 're-created' as a 'new movie' in SV. ('Aha' #4)

Gracias.

Thanks for your help Andy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    He does have to make a new file to save the changes 'forever'. I think the OP thinks he can use the original vid trimmed in Vegas without doing any more.

Yes, exactly what I did think...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    So my take on it is, yes, Vegas trims without 'hurting' the original file, but to use the 'trimmed' video elsewhere, he'll need to render a new file.
    I've got that now (finally!)

Shifting the conversation to one side: is there any software I CAN use to do the 'scissors' with AVI files? ... For a simple 'top and tail' cut without having to render the cropped clip each time? I have 20 clips...

There IS s/w out there that gets at the AVI. Just can't think of it ..

But glad I could assist on the clarification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast