Thread: Freelance Video Editor

Default Freelance Video Editor

Hello friends, my first post here and I was wondering if you could offer me some advice.

I'm 22, and a self trained video editor competent with FCP, Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Adobe Premiere, After Effects and Encore, however I'm not 'Qualified' in any of those applications. I spent my further education studying Moving Image. My problem is I am unable to get any work whatsoever. I'm currently about to start post on my second film to help gain me some recognition which i intend to submit to film festivals worldwide and add to my expanding showreel/portfolio, but so far i have not got any work coming my way.

I've built my own website Mediascape Productions Limited - Filmmaking Perfection (I'm also proficient in Dreamweaver) to help aid the process. I just wondering if i may be doing something wrong that may deter people to hire me as an editor, even if it is a small project. I know i maybe aiming too high, but I have valid and diverse skills that i wish to use.

Although i know FCP 6 and most of FCS i don't have a Mac to run it on as I'm unable to afford a Mac Pro to do my editing on, so for now its PC based. I have a well configured system running Adobe CS4 Master Collection, Quad display setup, Quad core Processor 4Gig of RAM x2 1 TB scratch disc's for HD and a professional editing jog-board/mouse. My fear is that when anyone hears the word 'PC-based' they immediately think 'of the unprofessional, everyday Joe' who uses Windows Movie Maker. Do i really need a shiny silver Apple to make me a Pro?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

As a serial underachiever i offer no careers advice. But...

I think the competition is strong. A while back my friend finished her masters in doco film and video on top of her first in grahics design. She struggeld to find work and ended up as an assistant editor on 12,000 in london - only 2 years back.

Also, whilst I dont question your skills, and indeed I think i am pretty dam good too, gianing a professional qualification and having had previous professional work means that you know the lingo, the business, and the bollox.

I suppose so. As you aforementioned, it boils down to what experience you have (if any) For someone like myself who hasn't proven their worth, they don't stand much of a chance getting the job they are good at even if they are freelance. As I've seen over the last 3 years of hopeless trying, people whether that be freelance or commercial businesses tend to either employ the same person/company to do work as they hired before and highly rate professional experience as they know that way they will get what they want. I guess it goes without saying, you don't get work if you don't have the experience. No one wants to invest money in a chap who has little or no professional experience, as they can't be sure they'll get the job done or may end up with a pile of crap. As with this industry, you have to work up from the bottom. I was hoping that being freelance would offer me the exception to that rule, but it seems not. I don't suppose shooting/editing and directing your own feature short will qualify as Pro experience. That said, it can show what you're capable of. The only trouble is getting someone to see it, and getting people to spare their time in this industry to have a look at your work is just not going to happen. I suppose if i manage to get hired as a runner, clapper loader, rigger for a period of time and get a Pro to notice my work (at some point) I may stand a chance of going solo. But until that point and the current state things are in at the moment, i suppose i can dream on

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xenova View Post
    ...i suppose i can dream on
    Sadly, unless you're extremely lucky, you're probably correct. My rubbish advice is to keep working on your own stuff for your own pleasure...

Blog Entries

Most proper editing jobs appear to be more akin to a nightmare rather than a dream. I think it is the lucky few who get much creative control.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Sadly, unless you're extremely lucky, you're probably correct. My rubbish advice is to keep working on your own stuff for your own pleasure...
    I'll second that advice.

"do i need a MAc?" ..

er... no.

Nobody gives a rat's @*rse what you edit on.

The real problem you face is knowing people.... you have no serious professional background in editing so haven't picked up a bunch of people willing to recommend you or to even think of you when it comes to jobs.

MY best advice would be to get some kind (and i mean ANY kind) of job at a production house or facility. There is always a need for someone to do little jobs there.. and when the cry goes up for a spot of editing you step forward into the breach. The result is more work.
    Stay there a while - get connections - soak up the pro atmosphere and meantime build-up your free-lance operation.

its not that what you know, as you will find in this world it is who know....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    its not that what you know, as you will find in this world it is who know....
    Or, to quote someone wiser than me,"it's not who you know, but what you know about them".