Thread: First Professional Camcorder

1. Default First Professional Camcorder

I am looking to buy my first professional camcorder, something inexpensive that I can use to until I have the money to upgrade.

I have used a Canon GL1 and have been looking into getting one of those, but I thought I'd check here before I make a concrete decision.

My budget is between $500 and $1000 (eBay) and it needs to be pretty versatile. I want to shoot short films, both indoors and out, as well as some sporting events. I will also edit it on a PC, so it needs to have the appropriate outputs. A microphone input it also necessary.

Obviously I am looking to get an standard definition camera because the pro HD cameras are still expensive.

So any information would be a great help. Even a website that gives me a list of all the professional SD camcorders would be useful... That way I can check their prices and features myself and decide from there.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

A canon gl1 is a fine camera that produces lively vibrant vieo but it isnt a professional camera.

At the top end of the consumer market we find 'prosumer' - these cameras are made on the same production lines as everyithng else but are usually near the top of the comsumer range and may have functions such a zebras ( essentail for setting exposure manuall ) and occasionally xlr mic inputs and other things.

Its a bit of a con really and probably invented by ad men.

Professional cameras are completely different beasts and most people would hate them i suspect.

Heavy, expensive parts ( 200 upwards for a bat charger ), no auto focus, no steady shot, no lovely chimes, no pretty stickers - but you can brain annoying tossers at drum and bass gigs with pro cameras and they still work afterwards.

I am not a loon - tried to steal said camera / cosh.

I like pro cameras so I shoot on DV SD - Shooting on DV in no way stifles my creativity.

When it comes to making good films the camera is not the most important thing. You are.
    Last edited by Mark W; 05-13-2009 at 06:06 PM.

3. Default

Thanks for your input.. I probably should have been more clear about the "professional" part of the of the description... I am not looking for anything truly professional, just some thing better than the JVC handy cam I've had for 3 years.

So would you recommend the GL1 for a good "prosumer" camera of can I get something better for the price?

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Just noticed my typo - pro was poor - lols. Fixed.

Other cameras you may considor are xl1 / xl2, pd150/170, pdx10.

Canons seem to look a bit bright and vivid woth more jaggies, somys appear a bit softer with less jaggies - in a nut shell.

xl1 and pd150 often cheap but a gen behind xl2 170.

I have used a gl1 and nearly got one a few years back.

Watch out for insane prices on e bay for good sd gear - it may be best to look in other places too.