Thread: Help - would like to set up my system to record and play TV

1. Default Help - would like to set up my system to record and play TV

I am currently thinking about making my pc also work like a TV and I was wondering about what I would neet to do that.
    I am guessing I would need a card with both TV Tuner and TV capture ability? TV Tuner for watching TV and the TV capture card, for recording things right?

I would then probably also need a cable from my aerial, the same which plugs into the back of my tv, to plug into the card? Or would I have to have a tv connected?

I am very unsure about all of this and would like some info and confimation on what I just said. Any and all extra info is also appreciated, on this sort of setup.

PS 1 - I'm a firm beleiver in buy cheap buy twice, hence i don't want something so professional that i will not be able to set it up.

Any responsesd would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

PS 2 If anyone can recommend soemthing that would allow me to record videos ie VHS to the PC, so i can get rid of the VHS and a selection of 20 old kept videos that would be great.

I really do not know where to start in terms of hardware and software. ( ie playing the TV and recording or does this come with the card )

Andrew

Blog Entries

I tried that once but I gave up.

I found the 2 things - PC / TV - were best kept seperate.

However some of my friensd swear by this media centre thing. One has all his dvds on a huge drive in the machine. I prefer the romance of picking of the shelf - lols.

Cards available that decode freeview from an aerial signal, also cable and sat cards are around.

Avoid analogue only cards as the signals are getting switched off soon.

I've had good results with this.
    Only really is useable if you plug it into your main house Ariel... so you might want a longer coxial cable.
    However, once you've got it set up its great, pause, rewind, record live TV with great picture and sound quality
    That's by no means a high end card, so spend more on some high-end Hauppauge cards and i'm sure you can get even better results.