Thread: A weekend in sicily

Blog Entries

Default A weekend in sicily

I spent a weekend in Sicily last week, primarily for a wedding. As ever, I whipped out a little camera to film my mates, but it was interesting to see just how difficult it is to anticipate events when you're not sure of what's going to happen next!

The ceremony wasn't significantly different from a typicaly UK afair, but from a videographer perspective, it's a dream! No speaches, no long drawn out reception. It's really about the food. Oh, and the couple. The videographer on the day was a nightmare though. He had an onbaord light which was pointed directly at all the guests. He certainly didn't understand the meaning of the word discreet.

Anyway, here's a wee little video of my weekend. Nothing special I'm afraid!

Blog Entries

i wager an sm58 - the best mic in the worls apparently - that that video poops all over the offical one - everyone will look like they are in CSI with that camra light. He should have shot on DV then he may not have needed it. Lols. Not that i am dogmatic or anything.

No speeches - deep joy!

Loved the brief split screen - groovy 70s vibe.

The car was a great touch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Anyway, here's a wee little video of my weekend. Nothing special I'm afraid!
    Ah, but this is where I hate you, Marc. You've come back with footage including many shots of smiling people (always goes down a treat with the viewer) as well as some interesting subject material and scenery. All colourful & brightly lit.

You then sling it all together, apparently effortlessly (I'm sure it's far from effortless), and produce a delightful little 2-3 minute piece.

In contrast, I've just returned from a day out with the family in Brighton and reviewed footage of family looking thoroughly miserable (because I've taken the camera), none of the more interesting shots I wanted to take (because I was being hassled to put the camera away), loads of shots of my 4 year old with silly expressions on her face (because unlike the rest of the family she loves the camera and really hams it up) 2 mins of shots of surfers in the wrong aspect ratio (because the camera insists on resetting itself from time to time) and maybe 30 secs worth of half usable shots from the rides on the pier!

Expect a 5 sec masterpiece sometime next year.
    Tim

Blog Entries

You flatter me Tim! I've almost learnt the trick of filming without beeing seen. Add to that beautiful scenery, a great track, and girlfriend that loves being filmed and you really can't go wrong.

Blog Entries

Deceptive.

At first glance, yet another holiday/weekend video but it does conceal a wealth of talent. Some really nice camera moves (esp. the pseudo crane shots) and you can tell footage from someone who edits themselves. Shots which start neutral (hedge, sky, floor etc) Nice cutaways etc.

Technically, perfect exposure, really nice compositions and we can overlook the occasional tilted horizon or focus. This is great amateur stuff, in the true meaning of the word (derives from the latin meaning someone who does something for love).
    I'm honestly jealous. I'd spend too much time buggering about trying to get a "story" together and miss those "kodak moments" and have forgotten about the fun side of videomaking. it takes something like this to remind us that, as a hobby, it's about having fun as much as about technicalities.

A mate's getting married next week and asked me to "Do a short video for us, nothing too much". I've already had a lavalier and a radio-mic pouch sewn into the bride's dress and this has made me think that maybe I should have a re-think!

Some really nice framing in there, and colour balance is nice (not sure if you changed that at all).
    Shame that some of the best framing and comp. was when the subject wasn't so interesting, or the sequence was a bit jerky. Still, i liked the feel and tone of it, looked like a great weekend!
    Good job

As ever an excellent video, certainly captured the essence of the event. Lovely shots, framing and camera moves, some very photogenic people aswell who don't hide when a camera is pointed at them. Can I borrow them for a wedding in August? You should rent them out by the hour, nice little sideline. The one greyscale shot in amongst all the colour, was there a reason for that?

Blog Entries

The two black and white were there for personal reasons.

1) I was told categorically not to film when people were sunbathing, so I did.
    2) The second was the only bit not filmed by me. (that was my ugly mug!)

I wanted both to stand out for different reasons...

Thats a Godfather of a wedding video, it's up there with the best.

I really liked the way it's done as if your not even there with a camera, so casual. Nice tempo and really keeps moving along, reminiscent of a shooting style you sometimes saw when super 8 ruled the camera elite.

Nice food shots..yum.

The videographer on the day was a nightmare.

Had to laugh at this as any of us will always view the other guy with a camera as the nightmare, if I go to a wedding or whatever and asked to capture some video I usually keep well clear of the professional dude and go off shooting the stuff he's missing.

Very few of the video pros I have witnessed are discreet, always big tripods, lights, and powers of persuasion; but not as great as the stills photographer.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo