Thread: Quick Time Pro Fast Start problem

Default Quick Time Pro Fast Start problem

Folks, I realize that this is not exactly a new thread, but the problem is--somewhat. Here's the whole story starting at the beginning:

I edited a 3-1/2 minute wedding video demo in Premiere 7. I saved ("shared") it to my computer as a Quick Time file. I embeded the following code into an html document:

<OBJECT classid='clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B' width="320" height="256" codebase=''> <param name='src' value=""> <param name='autoplay' value="true"> <param name='controller' value="true"> <param name='loop' value="false"> <EMBED src="" width="320" height="256" autoplay="true" controller="true" loop="false" bgcolor="#000000" pluginspage=''> </EMBED> </OBJECT>

Then I up loaded it to my website. It played very nicely but it took 45 to 50 seconds to load. It was recommended that I purchase Quick Time Pro, which I did.

I then followed the instructions on "Preparing a movie for Fast Start" located on the Adobe website at:

In the progress window the bar fills across and then I get the message: Error-36: an I/0 error occurred.

Please help. If anybody should visit my website at: please let me know how long it takes to load on your computer.

Default Link correction

Folks, I gave the wrong link to the site for "How to prepare a movie for Fast Start.
    Here is the correct link:

QuickTime 7: Preparing movies for Internet delivery

Default Fast start problem solved

I want to publicly express my thanks to RJ Johnston over at muvipix for solving my Quick Time fast start problem.

Also, I want to thank everybody on this forum for all of your input. It helped lead the way to my success. I have gathered a wealth of information here. I hope that in return I will be able to help somene in trouble like me.
    If interested, you might note that on my site I have both Quick Time and Windows Media Player on the same page; thus giving the viewer a choice. I still need to ad explanatory copy, but the thing for you to note is the superior quality of the Quick Time movie over the WMP.

You might also note that the WMP movie is not complete. From Premiere 7 it only loaded about 3/4s of the movie.
    Another problem! Oh well!

Default Problem solved. How I did it.

Maybe this will prove helpful to someone faced with the same problem,.

Embeding a Quick Time video in an html document and getting it to fast start nearly drove me crazy, but with help from the good people on this forum and others I finally got it worked out. I especially want to thank J R Johnston over at muvipix.
    Here are the steps I used:

I will touch on the FOUR main problems I had to overcome in order to embed video into an html file and get it to work properly and to Quick Start:

Note: To do this you must have Quck Time Pro ($30.00), a bargan just for the quick start feature alone.
    I shot the movie using a Sony VX2000 NTSC. I edited the movie in Premiere 7 and "shared" as a Quick Time movie to my hard drive.

First: I inserted the following code into my html page for a Quick Time movie.

<OBJECT classid='clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B' width="320" height="256" codebase=''>
    <param name='src' value="../VideoProductions/Weddings/MonaDongray/">
    <param name='autoplay' value="false">
    <param name='controller' value="true">
    <param name='loop' value="false">
    <EMBED src="../VideoProductions/Weddings/MonaDongray/" width="320" height="256" autoplay="true"
    controller="true" loop="false" bgcolor="black" pluginspage=''>

Be sure to get the paths and links correct for your particular content.

SECOND: After inserting the code, I still could not see any thing on my page.
    The background color of my page is dark blue. And since the background color in the above code was ORIGINALLY dark blue, of course I could not see anything. As you can see in the above code, I changed the background color (in the code to black). After which, a nice black square appeard on my page against its dark blue background.

THIRD: The QT control bar did not show.
    I increased the height from the original 240 to 256 (increase by 19 works). This made room for the control bar which then showed up nicely.

FOURTH: Fast start (the really hard part until you get it figuered out. Then it is easy.)
    My first mistake:
    I was advised to go to and follow the instruction found there under the heading: "Preparing a movie for Fast Start" which reads as follows:
    1. Open your movie in Quick Time. (I did.) A "Movie Setting" window appears.
    2. From the File menue, choose Export. (I did). That was a mistake as I shall explain.
    3. From the Export pop-up menue, choose Movie to Quick Time Movie. (I did).
    4. Click Options and select any video and sound compression options appropriate for web delivery.
    It gives you no hint as to what those settings should be. Because I did not fully understand these and still don't, I just left them at the default settings. Maybe someone smarter than I will explain these.
    5. Make sure the "Prepare for Internet Streaming" check box is selected and that Fast Start appears in the pop-up menue. (I did).
    6. Click OK, then click Save. (I did)

Right away I got this error message:
    Error-36" an I/0 error occurred.

It was making me crazy! What had I done wrong?
    A really sharp guy, R J Johnston, over at muvipix cleared it up for me:
    If you were working from a movie on a disk, choosing the "Export" feature as in the above it MIGHT work. But my movie was already on my hard drive. What I should have done and finally did:
    Instead of choosing "Export" choose "Save as."
    The catch here is that when you choose "save as" be sure to change the name of the movie. Otherwise it will not work.
    All's well that ends well!

If you would like to check out my results go to:
    Note that on the same page--in addition to Quick Time--I have included Windows Media Player; thus giving the viewer a choice.

If anyone goes there please tell me how long it takes to load. And let me know which browser you are using: IE or Foxfire?