Thread: capture with the 'noise'

Default capture with the 'noise'

Hi - please help me to find out the reason:

I just bought a new PC specially for editing home taped DV to an DVD:
    -Pentium 4 3,2GHz
    -512 MB RAM
    -NVIDIA PCX 5900
    -160Gb SATA 7200 HD (there is up to 100 GB free space on them - data rate test shows read 27084 kb/sec, write 30210 kb/sec)
    -Intel 915 MB with built-in fireware

when I connected Sony DCR-TRV18E via fireware and start DV quality capturing - everything wents fine - exluding result - captured avi files has a lot of 'snow (small pixels which randomly shows over the frames - in same tame original material do not have any 'noise' if watched directly - the noise are caming during capturing process) . switching-off 'capture preview' reduces this snow by half but there this 'noise is still'.

I tried several capture software (Nero, Pinnacle, Microsoft) but the result are the same - the process of capturing is not clean.

Any ideas ?
    (of course there is some software sitting in baccground - Windows XP SP2, symantec antiviruss, symantec systemworks)

Just guessing and/or thinking out loud because I've really no idea what might cause this.

Try checking and cleanig the connection from your firewire cable, both ends. Also, if you can, try a different lead to see if it helps.

Run a tape head cleaner through your camera before capturing just to make sure it's all clean in there as well.

Other than that, all I'm left with is the normal 'make sure your HDD is well defragged' as many a cpature issue has been resolved by creating extra space and defragging.

some more details:
    - same footage watched directly from tape (when camera are attached via analog output to the TV) do not shows any 'noise' - thats mean that picture on tape is clear, but noise comes during the capturing process
    - as computer is quite new , there from 160 GB are still not ocypied up to 110 GB , thats mean that also 'defragmention' there is not a case

what I'm worried and may be somebody has an experience - since the hardware solutiuon is quit new (Intel 915PBL MB+Intel P 4 3,2) and fast, there may be some impact from that that MB is too fast or some role is playing software installed and running in background (as I said ,there were running Symantec systemworks which has active Norton undelete feature, antiviruss and firewall which also has some impact on processor interrupts). Any expierence with playing with such software are welcome ? Is this really mean that such problem drops only to me ?

A hint on using norton software, from years of professional experience:

Uninstall the program, burn the CDs and packaging, seal the ashes in a lead box and throw the lead box into the middle of the atlantic ocean.

In all seriousness, I have known Norton software to cause various system problems. I really would suggest uninstalling it, if not just to diagnose the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefishcake
    A hint on using norton software, from years of professional experience:

Uninstall the program, burn the CDs and packaging, seal the ashes in a lead box and throw the lead box into the middle of the atlantic ocean.

In all seriousness, I have known Norton software to cause various system problems. I really would suggest uninstalling it, if not just to diagnose the problem.
    Here here! My system is much more stable since Norton Systemworks was trashed.

And even though you have 110Gb of your 160Gb disk still free this does not mean you do not have to defrag.

Given that five minutes of capture equates to about 1Gb of storage then video capture eats up disk space like Homer Simpson eats donuts. A good rule to live by would be to perform a defrag before every capture.

If you can view the movie across the firewire ok then I reckon it's likely all down to writing that info to the disk.

I just remove Norton systemworks - no difference ! there must some another explanation ...

Problem solved!

I add a stand alone PCI fireware card and it's sorts out the problem.
    I'm going to contact with the Intel with question - do it's a case or is a problem with Intel 915PBL motherboard in principle ...

Glad it's all sorted.