Thread: Camera for Travelog - advice needed

Question Camera for Travelog - advice needed

Hi all,

I'm going to be doing a huge trip soon which I need to do a 'guerilla documentary' for. But I know nothing really about video cameras and I don't really feel like I can trust any of the sales assistants I've spoken to in shops lately!!!

Hopefully someone here can lend some helpful kind advice.

Because I'm going to be on the road for over a month and travelling very light I think I am wise to be looking at Hard Drive cams... It really seems like I could do without the cost and hassle of media. Is this an intelligent choice? Is there a rough guide to hours per Gb of storage space?

I'm afraid my budget is tight, but I'm not after a top end camera. These videos will be posted and viewed online mostly, so perfect colour and sharpness will be wasted in most cases.

One of the most annoying things I find about home-made videos posted on various sites on the net is the sound quality. Most of my trip will be filmed from the road and I really don't want to be picking up lots of engine noise, or weather if I can avoid it. Any suggestions here? Do I need to get an extra mic and how much would that realistically set me back?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

What is your budget? I wouldn't get a hard drive camcorder if I was going on a road trip or if you want to film from a vehicle and the terrain is rough. It will shake the camera up too much and this is a problem for hard disk camcorders. The read/write head may skip and miss during the recording process and you will either get no recording or a corrupted file.

Also trying to get good sound from a moving vehicle is impossible, you will be picking up some noise, better to pull onto the side of the road, do some recording and then go to your next location. I prefer tape based camcorders but in your case it might be better to go for a camcorder that records onto memory card. They are cheapish, you can store video onto them, and when full copy the files onto a laptop and you don't need any cables if the laptop has the same card reader built it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    What is your budget? I wouldn't get a hard drive camcorder if I was going on a road trip or if you want to film from a vehicle and the terrain is rough. It will shake the camera up too much and this is a problem for hard disk camcorders. The read/write head may skip and miss during the recording process and you will either get no recording or a corrupted file.

Also trying to get good sound from a moving vehicle is impossible, you will be picking up some noise, better to pull onto the side of the road, do some recording and then go to your next location. I prefer tape based camcorders but in your case it might be better to go for a camcorder that records onto memory card. They are cheapish, you can store video onto them, and when full copy the files onto a laptop and you don't need any cables if the laptop has the same card reader built it.
    Hi Nikosony,

The budget is as little as possible!!! Ideally I don't want to spend any more than 500. But any money saved on that means I can eat for another day!

I've been reading the same elsewhere about hard-drives, and a lot of this trip will be on rough roads (and off-raod), so I'm going to rule that out I think. But I have been reading that memory card cams are not really there yet. MiniDV seems like the way to go, even though I'll be carrying a load of tapes around with me. What do you think?

I totally understand about the sound issue and I have already kind of anticipated doing just that and getting any shot when I NEED sound from the side of the road or parked up. Inevitably there will be some shooting that will need to be done from within a moving vehicle, but I'll probably add soundtrack and voice overs to these sections if I can.

Thank you for your thoughts. Any further advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rob