Thread: PE7/PProCS4: Split screen/picture in picture jerkiness problem?

Default PE7/PProCS4: Split screen/picture in picture jerkiness problem?

I have tried using Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Pro CS4, creating a video that displays multiple videos at once. I tried:
    • Splitting the screen into four boxes of same size (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right), each filled with its own video
    • Having one main video with 3 picture-in-picture windows overlaid on top of the main
    I followed this instruction: Heron Productions

In both cases, after I rendered work area, I see the video on Track 1 and sometimes Track 2 become very jerky, like skipping backwards and forwards by themselves. Exactly the same issue also when I export into final video. The only way I could solve this issue reliably is by decreasing the number of simultaneous videos/windows to two.

Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong? FWIW, all my sources are AVCHD files from a Canon HF100, and the project is a 1080 30i.

Again, I can do two-video split screen/PiP just fine, but more than two simultaneously causes the frame skipping/jerkiness. As a temporary workaround, I usually render a two-video split screen with a space for another two, then I import it into a new project, adding the other two PiPs. But of course this is an ugly solution.

strange. try it with some standard definition footage and see if the jerkiness still happens.

I converted the sources to 720x480p 29.97 WMV, and then created 2x2 (4-way simultaneous) video. This one does NOT have the jerkiness problem. So either Premiere can't handle 1920x1080, or interlaced as sources for multiple PiP. I will try converting the sources to 1920x1080p 29.97 WMV and see what happens.

It's more likely to be a hardware issue. you need a very powerful computer to edit AVCHD video. What are your pc's specs?

I don't see why it's a hardware issue, since this is not about realtime playback, but the output of the final encoding (well, and also the rendered work area).

Anyway, I have reproed this issue on two machines, both running Vista 64-bit.
    Machine 1: Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz/4GB/NVIDIA 8600GTS 256MB/multiple 500GB 7200rpm drives.
    Machine 2: Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB/NVIDIA 8600GT 256MB/750GGB 7200rpm drive.

There's a much more powerful machine on the way, arriving ~next Wednesday: Core i7 920/6GB/ATI Radeon HD4830 512MB/multiple 500GB 7200rpm drives. This should eliminate any hardware slowness possibility.

Good luck with your new machine. (lucky...)

Anyway do you have any other operating systems you can put on? perhaps windows xp? It could be a Windows Vista Issue. I have heard of problem with trying to render while running windows vista but don't take my word for it.

Have you sent Adobe an email?

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Pro CS4 written to run only on a 32 bit OS? I haven't heard of 64 bit versions, you say your computers can cope with 2 clips but not 4, that could be a hardware problem in that your computers don't have the spec to cope with all of those AVCHD files. Hopefully your new computer will be able to handle all that data.

Adobe premiere pro cs4 is "optimized" for 64 bit operating systems. but it's still a 32bit program. it runs several instances of a program in the background and eacho instance would be able to have access to 4 gb of ram, cleaver eh?

anyway i defiantly think it's a hardware issue as AVCHD is highly compressed thus requiring a lot of processing power.