Thread: converting MTS back to mpeg2 then back to blueray

Default converting MTS back to mpeg2 then back to blueray

I have been trying to edit MTS file with premiere CS4, playback on time line is very choppy and slow, if I convert the MTS file to MPEG2 it plays just fine in Premiere, My question is, can I convert the MPEG2 file back to a blueray format without loosing quality, I dont have a blueray burner yet, or a blueray player, but i plan on buying both very soon. Thanks for any help I can get. I am open for suggestions

Thanks again

Blog Entries

I presume the file is from a AVCHD camera ?

Unfortunately for us all they produce a data stream that uses a complicated variable bit rate that along with other factors means that AVCHD video is very clunky on the timeline - it will still render fine - but it can be very unrewarding and unresponsive to edit.

So long as you convert to a better codec losses will be very small.

I suggest converting and editing the video as HDV, faster to edit.

Or buy another camera, a HDV one.

Thanks Mark, if i knew all the ins and out of this format, I wouldn't have bought. I film underwater video, my housing manufacture recommended this camera ,Sony XR520v. I was using a Sony TRV900 and it finally died on me, so I had to upgrade, I ask him for some advice on what to go with, and he suggested the XR520, he also said premiere would edit it just fine, that was a joke. I have 1700 video clips that i have to edit, and most of the clips has to be viewed and edited, because of my housing malfunction, that's another story. What program would you recommend on converting to HDV, also the man told me that DV tape was on the outs and everything will be going to AVCHD. I have all the clips converted to MPEG2 right now, so I can get some copies to my customers who dosnt have Blueray, but eventually i will be burning Blueray. Also what are the better codecs, i am total new to HD.

Thanks Larry
    Last edited by lbabcock; 05-08-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Blog Entries

WARNING - rant.

You know it really pisses me off that people in shops lie.

For some reason I cant grasp all the bloody shops out there are telling people that H drive cameras and AVCHD is the next big thing. Manufacturers are pushing h driver cameras. I suspect hey make more on them as drives are probably much cheaper then tape transports and they can charge more cos people percieve a drive as more modern??? Maybe ??

Odd really.

Then they lie to people and say it is easy to edit.

Why they didnt just use the hdv codec that is better technically and esier to edit just escapes me.

A few h drive cameras now have an option to record in something other than avchd - maybe yours does ?

I think a wise person must be deeply suspicious of anything ' new ' and ' improved ' in the consumer market - it isnt driven by performance like the pro market but by PERCIEVED performance in the eyes of the deluded customer bombarded by bright shiney stickers and mendacious pompous ingrates called shop assitants.

Rant over.

I am not the best to advise as I still shoot on absurdly fast to edit DV, albeit cheap pro DV, and stuff the sticker worshippers cos it performs better then many so called HD cams that claim to cure impotence.

Rant really over.

Have a look at the free and very capable ' super c ' for conversion.

In many editors it is trivial to edit on a lush to edit DV capture and then replace the files with the higher res version for the render.

Or keep it all in DV - the infrastructure for blu ray is still quite sparse so chances are any DVDs will be std res.

AVCHD is apparently tolerable to edit on a fat i7 system.

Thanks again Mark, my next step was to build me an i7 system with 16 gig of ram, wasn't sure what video card to go with, i am still using PC. I will look at the super C, is it a stand alone program or is it a plugin for Premiere. I almost went with the FX7 camera, but the housing was big and bulky for underwater use, it would have made getting back in the boat in 3 meter seas a pain. but it was a HDV format

Blog Entries

Super is a standalone app.

Still using the PC??? That is what nearly everyone uses - macs are just whiter and more smug - not better.

16 gig of ram??? Is that what is std - seems like an awful lot. I may be out of touch...

I think it's the Adobe products that are giving you the issues, not your computer. Sony and Pinnacle apps easily play MTS files. Premiere doesn't do so well. And like Mark said, PC's are good video editing machines. A mac isn't gonna make your video project look any better. That's up to you.