Thread: video file size too large!

Default video file size too large!

hi i was wondering if someone can help me
    i am using vegas movie studio and i have finished a project. I save the file as an avi, in an uncompressed template, and the file size is about 4 GB per 3 mintues. Is there any way i can make the file size around 40-80 MBs? Thanks

I save the file as an avi, in an uncompressed template

Don't choose an uncompressed template.

What are you intending to do with the finished project? That will determine the best compression method - although there are no guarantees of the end result regarding quality/size.

I don't use Vegas Pro I'm just a Movie Studio user, but even so I've been able to render close to original quality with some decent compression. These editors have come far enough (and so have the codecs) that you can get some good output results without having to keep the file sizes too huge.

What I've done in the past is grabbed a 3 minute segment of my source footage and rendered it in half a dozen different ways. That way I get several small sample clips to preview different rendering/compression options and choose the right balance of quality preservation/file size. Plus the clip is short enough that the rendering is very quick regardless of your output template.

I don't use Vegas Pro I'm just a Movie Studio user

I'll absolutely guarantee you that Movie Studio (where they are enabled) uses the same plugins as the Pro version. For a particular codec you won't get any better quality using the more expensive version.

im just planning on posting it on the internet so it has to be a resonable size so i can upload it on there.
    what template do you suggest? there are a list to choose from e.g 'NTSC DV' PAL DV, etc' but im not too familiar with these..

Blog Entries

Hi KitKatK,
    For internet posting, I'd suggest you use WMV. There's quite a discussion about what's best for YouTube to make use of their "HD" options - it's a sticky at the top of the Vegas section.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Hi KitKatK,
    For internet posting, I'd suggest you use WMV. There's quite a discussion about what's best for YouTube to make use of their "HD" options - it's a sticky at the top of the Vegas section.
    For HD on youtube i made a custom template with best quality and xvid 1280x720 codec. the rest is default avi