Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I use different quality clips in the same project?

Default Can I use different quality clips in the same project?

Hi all:

I use Vegas Platinum and currently have 2 different camcorders that I'm getting footage from- one records in DV widescreen and the other (my newest) in HDV (AVCHD). My question is, can I use clips from both cameras in the same project or do I need to keep them seperate?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You can certainly mix differing source footage on the Vegas timeline, however....

What's your target output?

If it's Standard Definition, then set your project settings accordingly. The AVCHD will be downscaled plus you can also use pan/crop within the footage.

If you're looking for HD output, then the DV will be upscaled - won't look good. There are tools that claim good results (not always cheap) and somewhere I have a set of instructions for doing it for free (using VirtualDub/AVISynth etc).

Blog Entries

If the dv camera is a decent one - 600 ish or more - you may find a small amount of sharpening will help.

Also, AVCHD ( HDV is something else ) is hellish slow to edit. If you find this try converting the avchd to HDV or DV.

Very good DV can produce better pictures than cheap so called ' HD' cameras. Depending on your source cameras the differences may or may not be irritating.

I've done many projects with multiple types of source footage. It's never been a big issue. Sometimes it makes rendering the final movie slower but meh', no big deal.

Like these guys have already stated, the main issue comes when you are dealing with multiple resolutions, which I've also dealt with. Personally I find it heart-breaking to down-scale HD content when rendering, so if my project consisted of half HD content or more then I would definitely render in HD as well and let the DV stuff be upscaled. Do what you can to sharpen these clips up and enjoy the rest. BUT if the bulk of your footage is in fact DV then you are probably better off rendering your final movie in a standard 720x480 format rather than a High-def one.

And platinum 9 handles AVCHD rather nicely imo. Mind you my PC is equipped specifically for video editing.

Cool guys, thanks for the feedback! My DV camera cost around $900 canadian, fairly decent hard drive Sony I think and my newest toy is the little TGI or whatever, memory stick unit, that Sony has which will be great for sled and dirt bike videos as it is quite portable. They were closing them out, picked it up for $699 cdn (I think that's about 300 pounds?...) Our money goes far here!

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Dave View Post
    Cool guys, thanks for the feedback! My DV camera cost around $900 canadian, fairly decent hard drive Sony I think and my newest toy is the little TGI or whatever, memory stick unit, that Sony has which will be great for sled and dirt bike videos as it is quite portable. They were closing them out, picked it up for $699 cdn (I think that's about 300 pounds?...) Our money goes far here!
    OFF TOPIC - Where do you ride?

Most of the time we ride the trails/bush here in Saskatchewan, but occasionally we'll head out west, Fernie or the Crowsnest Pass, or south, Moab, Utah, or Montana. With the sleds we have great powder in Northern Sask, and also end up doing one or two trips out west to the mountains; always fun having a video camera on board, but bulkiness has always been an issue; hopefully this new one does the trick!

Most of the time we ride the trails/bush here in Saskatchewan, but occasionally we'll head out west, Fernie or the Crowsnest Pass, or south, Moab, Utah, or Montana. With the sleds we have great powder in Northern Sask, and also end up doing one or two trips out west to the mountains; always fun having a video camera on board, but bulkiness has always been an issue; hopefully this new one does the trick!
    Cool! We're doing an ATV trip around the Kootenay's this May long weekend. About 10 ATV's in the caravan. I've heard Crowsnest is stunning and of course Moab is the off-road capital of the world. I need to get out there some day.

I'm also picking up a tiny little light-weight SD camera for the trip.

Sounds like a good time; we're heading down to Montana the weekend after, hope to test this unit then. Makes sense though, more compact, less moving parts- bought a Pelican waterproof case that fits it pretty good, we'll see how she holds up!
    I haven't tried editing this HD footage, is it that much harder to work with?

Sounds like a good time; we're heading down to Montana the weekend after, hope to test this unit then. Makes sense though, more compact, less moving parts- bought a Pelican waterproof case that fits it pretty good, we'll see how she holds up!
    I haven't tried editing this HD footage, is it that much harder to work with?
    What are the spec's on your PC? I've heard a lot of people saying that AVCHD and other digital formats are more difficult to edit but I just don't find this at all. At any rate I personally think the trade-off is worth it: I'd rather have poorer editing performance in the name of better picture quality rather than switch away from these formats.

The only thing I notice is that when i work with ANY MPEG-2 based source footage that I have a tougher time focusing the 'curser' on frames that are on the immediate edge of each of my timeline clips. Vegas just seems to push it forward a few frames into the clip.

RAM is your best friend when you are working with big projects. Knowing I was going to be editing quite a bit I picked up 8GB of 1066MHz RAM when I spec'd out my PC. Of course the processor is going to make a massive difference when it comes to rendering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast