Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadbury Chocolate Downsize 20%

Default Cadbury Chocolate Downsize 20%

Would you notice 20% of a chocolate bar missing, Cadbury Australia / New Zealand have it all sewn up. It is a masterful art of illusion to fool the public.

I don't write letters, I make videos.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Nicely done Leo. That vid really showed how clever the repackaging was. The constant comparison using moving images is far stronger than loads of side by side stills.
    I thought your script was pitched at EXACTLY the right level, it was neither condescending (it's so obvious you're being ripped off, look how these groove are deeper, look how the cardboard adds volume) nor overly full of marketing speak/legalese jargon.

My only doubt was the vox pops. They seemed to go on for ever not really adding anything to your message. I can see you added them as variety from your own voice but it sort of lost momentum. My suggestion would be to use many more people, but just use a few sound bites from each "These look the same" They're ripping me off" "I want more chocolate".

But you're right - so much better than a letter.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Good job for sure - gets the message over very sanely. I'd love to see a Markesque rant version too though (remember the printer?), just for kicks.

Very interesting video about the kinds of shenanigans large companies get up to, what is really annoying is they are selling both for the same price. Is there no law that says they have to inform customers on the packaging that the new bar is 20% smaller than the old bar? I haven't been on their website so I don't know what spin they have put on it but after watching your video I will certainly be looking a lot more closely at products, especially new versions, from now on.

Hi Tim..

First I have to tread very carefully here, this video is starting to pack some punch, there have been some very interesting movements on youtube around this video..

I have just found out it has just become a youtube featured video, multi page feature not front page,..my fears of a cover up are being washed away.

There are some very strange things happening to the related videos to the Cadbury downsize video I made..

1. When I uploaded the video it related directly to the Cadbury eyebrows ad campaign, and any Cadbury video on youtube, almost exclusively..exactly what I was aiming for.
    2. Within 18 hours all relationships to any other Cadbury video has been cut, this video was related to what I will describe as the darkest corner of youtube, very scary stuff, lots of foreign films crap you would never watch in 100 years of tubing, really weird.
    3. Now I see the related videos are basically all my channel videos, just like a closed loop, I bet the tube is going in to close this video down. Cadbury advertise via youtube.
    4. Under a general google search it is doing well, it’s gets a front page if you ask a question of say ‘Cadbury Downsize’..

If this video remains unrelated to Cadbury videos I will have to do the networking the old hard way, call on all my friends to send it around, I really want this message to be one of watch out, this is happening everywhere, it’s just I have captured the moment of product change over or maybe swap out is a better term. The old 250g blocks are rounded up and hidden out the back, you never get a chance to see them side by side in the shops.

Being featured may bring this video out, not sure if it has the mass appeal of the usual tube garb, and please don't see me as a angry ant tuber, this video is not my usual style.

I hear your issue with the pops, I disguise my voice as I have so many people complain about my narrative style, I add heaps of bass, this brings out the pops..I wish I could find a friend to do my voice overs..

Leo.
    Last edited by rollingstock; 05-14-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries

An excellent video.

I watched it to the end and it fulfilled all three of the conditions needed by a documentary,: Informative, entertaining, interesting. Yeah, it is opinionated but it isn't a rant (I can't be bothered with rants) and it's factual without giving the impression that we're only geting some of the facts. I also liked the way you let the viewer come to some conclusions ourselves.

Nicely filmed, snappily edited, decent commentary and V/O. Really liked it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    I hear your issue with the pops, I disguise my voice as I have so many people complain about my narrative style, I add heaps of bass, this brings out the pops..I wish I could find a friend to do my voice overs..
    Nothing at all wrong with the narration or your voice Leo. My comment (which having watched a couple of times more I realise is overstated) was I think you'd do better with shorter, snappier sound bites from others - and more of them!

Fascinating about what's happeing in YT though.

And Guru's comments sum the film up very succinctly in terms of the requirements of a good documentary.

Maybe one of us ought to make a documentary about how your film has been dealt with on YT.....
    Tim

Tim.

It is very early days for this video, It is drawing many comments and looks like a company rep is defending this change, this tuber has laid in heaps of comments, what he does't realize is each comment raises the profile of the video.

When you attract long detailed comments in replies to the video thats nice, doesn't happen much on youtube.

The best defense to crash the video is to ignore the video, let it go to the darkest corners where many videos lie.

I am really pleased it has had an impact here on these forums, to me thats the confirmation I needed as I was a little worried the message would be viewed as a angry rant.

My issue here is the deceptive re-packaging where the retailers can manipulate the price to assist their profits. Joe Public just takes another hit, he's a easy target.

Cadbury are a little unlucky I noticed this change, I almost missed it.

How many other companies are doing the same thing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    Cadbury are a little unlucky I noticed this change, I almost missed it.
    And THAT should be the tag line for the film as it was surely their objective.

Not a rant at all, though you can't claim it's balanced (I'm not suggesting you are) unless you can get some quotes from/interview with a representitive for Cadbury's.

"Yeah", I hear you say. "What are the chances of that happening".

Well, just maybe a national newspaper or TV channel will pick up on this and you'll get your opportunity? Who knows. Keep those hits comin'.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast