Thread: SonyVegas Compression

Default SonyVegas Compression

I'm pretty new to editing so this might be something I'm doing wrong. I use two programs for compressing raw .avi those programs are SonyVegas9.0 and Virtualdub, for some strange reason no matter what I do, anything compressed or even saved as uncompressed from SonyVegas comes out in much lower quality than a Virtualdub Compression. I've tried so many things to get the same quality from SonyVegas because I think it's better for editing, I'm using the SAME codecs in SonyVegas that I use in Virtualdub (MPEG-4 XVID Codec) I tried customizing the resolution in Sony "1024x768" which is the default resolution of the recorded .avi, (Virtualdub detects and sets that resolution automatically) but still SonyVegas degrades the quality. I've done it all in Sony put rendering quality to "Best" you name it. I'm just trying to get the compressing quality from virtualdub into SonyVegas, using the same codec. I just cant get that. Any information would helpfull and appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by sushi; 05-07-2009 at 04:01 PM.

I tried customizing the resolution in Sony "1024x768" which is the default resolution of the recorded .avi, (Virtualdub detects and sets that resolution automatically)

What did you do to "customize" the resolution?

Do your project settings match the source video?

To make sure, File->Properties, button top right "Match Media", choose one of your .avi files.

Like you I'm not the MOST technically proficient when it comes to video compression and encoding etc. etc. (it's the artistic aspect of the editing itself that I love). So I guess this is a question for the pros here more than an answer.

When you match your project properties to your source footage as indicated above, and then render the video...does Vegas not REENCODE the content? If there is in fact re encoding then there will inevitably be a distilling of picture quality. Just curious because when I render in MPEG-2 and all of my source footage is in MPEG-2 the render is MUCH quicker than if I render DV to MPEG-2. So is the MPEG-2-->MPEG-2 not actually being reencoded?

Ah this is it an "it all depends" answer. For MPEG 2 to MPEG 2 render if you absolutely match the output settings to the input settings (most especially the bitrate), you will get a whole lot of "no recompression required" in your preview window while it's rendering.

If you don't you've done something wrong.

Of course, that all goes out the window, if you add any effects, pan/crop etc to the footage, then you won't avoid reencoding.

Blog Entries