Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't change output frame to 16x9

Default Can't change output frame to 16x9

Super glad to be a part of this group! Looks like it's the best video-editing forum on the web.

I am a Vegas Movie Studio user (version 9, platinum) and am having difficulty rendering my project as a 16x9 file. Here is the gist:

• I'm in Canada so it's NTSC.
    • My project media consists of ONE 2hr video that I was cutting, and THREE still shots.
    • When I first started the project the project properties Template was set to NTSC DV with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of .9091.
    • My project was outputting as a 4x3 frame with my 16x9 video letterboxed.

I then realized that my stills were 4x3 frame grabs so I replaced them with 16x9 versions, and also changed my properties to NTSC Widescreen with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.2121. I also replaced ALL of my transistions since they had been originally been created with 4x3 frames.

My preview window now displays the video filling the entire 16x9 frame, but when I start the "Make Movie" process it immediately begins to letterbox while it encodes.

I've also tried clicking the "Stretch video to fill output frame size (do not letterbox) checkbox. When I do this it shows the video being encoded in the preview screen as a 16x9 video with the video filling the whole frame. However once I play back the file in WMP, VLC, or MPC it is squished into a 4x3 frame. So Vegas still isn't outputting the file as a 16x9 file.

Now I'm stumped, any suggestions?

Is the raw video shot in wide?

If the raw video is 4 3 it will not fill the frame unless you crop and zoom the image to fit the 16 9 frame.

Is that any help ?

First verify what Mark suggested above.

Second, if the raw video is definitely WS, then ensure that your project settings match the source video. Easiest way to do that is to open up the project settings (File->Properties), click on the "Match Media Settings" (the button is top-right), and choose one of your source videos.

Next check the template you're using in Make Movie is actually a WS one (it would be helpful to post what your intended output is).

Thanks so much for the replies gents!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    If the raw video is 4 3 it will not fill the frame unless you crop and zoom the image to fit the 16 9 frame.

Is that any help ?
    The video was actually an MPEG-2 I've extracted from a DVD previously cut and authored years ago with an older version of Pinnacle Studio. It's 16x9 and it's the only movie clip involved in the project.

I've thought about just cropping off the black lines and zooming in but then I won't get the entire 480 lines of vertical res in the original video.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E
    First verify what Mark suggested above.

Second, if the raw video is definitely WS, then ensure that your project settings match the source video. Easiest way to do that is to open up the project settings (File->Properties), click on the "Match Media Settings" (the button is top-right), and choose one of your source videos.

Next check the template you're using in Make Movie is actually a WS one (it would be helpful to post what your intended output is)
    My intended output is DVD Compatible MPEG-2. Just want to basically keep it as close to original as possible.

I'm at work currently and don't have the project, or my cutting software on my notebook here. I'll double check the settings you've indicated and report back in a few hours when I'm back in front of my desktop.

Thanks again guys.

OK so I've created the custom template for my project properties. It's based on the one piece of video in my project media and now indicates "Custom (720x480 NTSC). The pixel aspect ratio is still set to WS.

I went ahead and immediately tried to render as MPEG-2 and the preview screen changed from a 16x9 frame to a 4x3 with my video letterboxed. Drag! So I've checked the "stretch to output frame" again to see if this will be any different. I'm guessing it will be more of the same.

Perhaps another idea would be to copy all of the content of the project and simply paste it into a time line of a new 16x9 project? I actually tried to do this in the wake of frustration with my current problems, but couldn't get the clipped segments to transfer over to the new project at all. Is this an impossibility?

Did you ensure that your project properties (not your render template) were also set to match the source video?

Have you actually produced an ouput file? In other words have you checked that it's not just the preview screen that's displaying it incorrectly?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E View Post
    Did you ensure that your project properties (not your render template) were also set to match the source video?
    Yes, it was the project properties that I customized to match up with the source video file. Perhaps it's the rendering template that needs to be fixed after all. Going to play around with that some more.

BTW the preview screen shows the video 16x9 unletterboxed until I begin rendering, when it automatically switches to the 4x3 frame with the output video letterboxed in the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Have you actually produced an ouput file? In other words have you checked that it's not just the preview screen that's displaying it incorrectly?
    This morning I produced an output file with the "Stretch Video to fill output frame size (do not letterbox)" checkbox filled in. frame ended up still being 4x3 with the 16x9 video squished into it. At least everyone is skinnier!

Something is wrong with my output frame.

BTW the preview screen shows the video 16x9 unletterboxed until I begin rendering, when it automatically switches to the 4x3 frame with the output video letterboxed in the middle.
    Yep. Sounds like the render template to me. Which one are you using?

I'm presuming you chose "Burn it to a DVD...." from the first screen on the Make Movie wizard and then "DVD" on the second.

Which template have you chosen from the Template drop-down list?

You need one that says "NTSC Widescreen".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast