Thread: Cheap quad core setup

Default Cheap quad core setup

right now the cheapest quad core setup is around 250 (with mobo, cause i use AMD, and they dont make quad core). Im thinking about spending around 300 on the following items.

CPU(i cant choose between these):

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (because its fair priced and it seems ok

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (better than first one in terms of speed but rating not as good

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (in the middle of the ones above)

and this one(yes, that was a long list):Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (recommeded to me)

For mobo i have just chosen some of the cheaper ones that work with quad core:

Newegg.com - Intel BOXDP35DPM LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel BOXDG33FBC LGA 775 Intel G33 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

and for the mobos theres like 5 cheap micro ATX ones for 50 bucks but they dont have as many RAM slots and just dont have as many features.'

NOTE: Feel free to recommend another product not on my list, for CPUs try and keep the cost under $200, for mobos around $100

O yea After Effects supports quad threads(can use the quad core) right?

In terms of buying a CPU out of those, i'd say the Q6600. It's cheap and very over clockable, capable of going well over 3 Ghz if you have sufficient cooling.
    But check check check that the CPU is going to be compatible with ur MB, download Sandra and see the exact model/spec's of your board. (if you have a dell this can sometimes be tricky)
    If your sure the CPU will be compatible, then id say just get the Q6600.

About AE.. i believe all CS4 programs are designed for quad-thread. CS3 i think only some programs make full use of the quad-core.

If your not sure about what MoBo to get, i reccomend an Asus P5N-D, very trusted and reliable and compatible with the Q6600, that's my set-up at the moment

Note - Make sure your cooling and PSU is up to the job!
    Last edited by benesotor; 05-18-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benesotor View Post
    In terms of buying a CPU out of those, i'd say the Q6600. It's cheap and very over clockable, capable of going well over 3 Ghz if you have sufficient cooling.
    But check check check that the CPU is going to be compatible with ur MB, download Sandra and see the exact model/spec's of your board. (if you have a dell this can sometimes be tricky)
    If your sure the CPU will be compatible, then id say just get the Q6600.

About AE.. i believe all CS4 programs are designed for quad-thread. CS3 i think only some programs make full use of the quad-core.

If your not sure about what MoBo to get, i reccomend an Asus P5N-D, very trusted and reliable and compatible with the Q6600, that's my set-up at the moment

Note - Make sure your cooling and PSU is up to the job!
    Thanks for the info, the Asus P5N-D is looking pretty good, thanks again!

i should also methion AMD do make Quad core cpus, AMD Phenom X4 Processors at cheap prices from Novatech.co.uk : Components :

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    i should also methion AMD do make Quad core cpus, AMD Phenom X4 Processors at cheap prices from Novatech.co.uk : Components :
    interesting, i have socket AM2, seems like a few of them can work with it, nice....

you can use AM3 cpus with an AM2 socket pc, the AM3 processors will work with a bios update, the physical difference is that AM3 cpus have 1 pin missing meaning that they'll plug into a AM2 board and AM2 cpus won't physically fit in a AM3 board, big con really,