Thread: Another mad idea - tell me straight !

Blog Entries

Default Another mad idea - tell me straight !

Yea I know I rant but trust me i do listen to you lot - well a bit.

How about this.
    A series of short films, each 2 to 5 mins.

Take one poem - for example, on my faves, ' Miss Gee, a ballad' by WH Auden.
    [minstrels] Miss Gee -- W. H. Auden

It's set in Clevedon, near where I live.

Travel to clevedon - film a shot for each verse that is carefully contrived. ( simialr to toilet film i made ). The poem is about an elderly lady witha crush on her vicar, so lots of shots of olds - clevedon is a retirement seaside place.

Now the clever bit - I think so anyway - the VO is the poem read by a person connected with location and stroy - so I get an elderly lady to read the poem for me.

Another fav poem is Slough by John Betcheman. Same gag with poem read by a comtemporary slough person.

I hope that the ' local person ' reading the poem with obliqely salient video will be seductive and powerful for any viewers.

Ya think ?

Short film of the year there Mark . . . if you find the perfect poem and marry the shots with care. I love the idea!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

That good ya think?
    The clevedon thing to that poem above is real possiblity then - few obstacles.

I am fired up by the idea - as ever I already can see the film in my head and I can feel it's quirky persuasiveness just in my imagination.

Time to dig out somemore of my poetry books.

Blog Entries

Found ' under milk wood' - not read for ages.

I can imagine the first few paras, to video of crdiff on a sat night, in the rain, with verse read by a person there on the night.

Blog Entries

Sorry if this sounds negative - it's only negative by comparison.

The strength that the toilet video/poem has over these ideas is one of motivation.
    YOU are reciting YOUR poem and illustrating it with shots taken by YOU. It's a very personal film which is much of its charm.

In your latest not-so-mad idea person A is reading words written by person B to shots by person C. That's not all bad - after all thats how "proper" films are made.

I can see how the new idea would appeal though - you don't have to write a poem for starters! I suspect that key to its success would be to get the right person not just reading the poem, but really wanting to read it.

Then you'd need to study their recital - perhaps even discuss what it means to them - even to the extent of asking them what images this conjures up before planning shots yourself. This makes it ratehr more personal to them than to you (you could be all arty and call yourself a conduit).

Variation: use a variety of people reading the poem - different folks for different lines. Choose the voice/delivery you like best for each line. This'll distance the narrators from the piecve as a whole, but make itr more personal to you.....

....just idle thoughts. I'll shut up now.
    Tim

Personally I think a local bod with their known dialect and a poem that's really apt would be the killer stroke.
    Trouble is . . . now you've let the idea roam in public, everyone and their mother who has their skates on can pop this idea onto film and be acclaimed 'original thinking'.
    Keep the best stuff under yer hat Mark
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Hi Mark - Just as an afterthought.
    Been watching 'Civil War' on the history channel. Watch if you have time.
    This is a perfect example of something working well.
    The right accents describing historical scenes, backed by some perfect music.
    Ok it may be southern drawl and banjos sometimes, but it just works so darned well.