Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing video for Youtube... Help please!!

Default Preparing video for Youtube... Help please!!

Hi Group,

I have recently purchased a web cam that I am using to record our pool matches in the local club. I then want to upload them to Youtube. I didn't realise what a pain in the butt this is. If a clip that I want to upload is longer than 10 minutes then I have to split it but this takes forever. I am using Adobe Premier and for instance if I want to split a 16 minute 96mb clip in half it takes forever. What am I missing? Why can't a wmv clip be simply snipped in half with minimum fuss without all this rendering business that takes half an hour each time??

In fact I have just snipped a 15 minute clip into two parts and the 10 minute part has just told me that it's going to take 1 hour 20 minutes to render!!! The thing only took ten minutes to film in the first place! I am using the same (I think) settings as what the original clip is recorded in i.e. WMV at 960x720 res 25 fps 2500kbps bitrate. So why does it take soooo long to render?

Is there a program that is a bit simpler to use that I can just import a 50 minute clip for instance and just tell it to give me 5 x 10 minute clips with minimal fuss or time?

As it stands if I record a pool match and then edit the video and then wait for them all to upload to youtube I am looking at best part of a days work just sat around waiting!

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Blog Entries

If you are the fidgity type best find a new hobby i think.

Editing will always take time.

( Mod note - first time posters endorsing a non free product posting below will be atomised and sent to live in Hull.)

Can you explain what is happening in the render process please? I am obviously wrong in assuming that a video file is like a film strip that would be relatively easy to snip into two pieces. Why can't a video file be cut in two without doing a whole render process?

And also I can't get my head around the fact that something that takes 10 minutes to film then takes an hour and a half to cut into two - why can't the PC encode it at the same speed as it did when capturing it from the webcam?

Blog Entries

Old buddist saying - the stream flows around the rocks, only a fool trys to go through.

Well I made that up - some things just are.

Editing is slow. Rendering is slow. Just like it takes some time to play a game of pool.

So in other words you can't explain why it takes 90minutes to cut something in two that only took 10 minutes to film (in the same format)

Great.

Anyone else?

Blog Entries

I suspect others may be less circumspect then me - taking the above in account....

Will it really make your day then if I explained about fast fourier transforms, information theory, the problem with von neumann acrchitectures for SIMD processing tasks and stuff?? Really ???

I doubt it.

As I said some things just are and you throwing a wobbly wont change the world - well not in the ways you want anyway.

You are also a mook

I am sure that someone will be able to answer the question in simple terms without being patronising and unhelpful.

It is not illogical to wonder why a process that takes 10 minutes to film can then take 90 minutes to cut in half.

I am only trying to understand what the problem is and so far I am no nearer to understanding

Blog Entries

Tut - oh ok - maths - sums - lots of em.

Each pixel is made up of many bits of data, x, y, brightness, colour.

Each frame of each picture has many data point for each pixel.

Each frame has several million pixels, each second has 25 frames.

Huge amounts of data.

Compression algorithms often rely on differences across up to 100 frames to compress so to copmress each frmae all those millions of pixels must be looked at across all those frmes to recompress the video.

That is as basic and non scientific as I can make it.

But that dont change the reality of things.

OK I partly understand now.

But surely all this info has to be encoded in the first place when filming so isn't that the same or a similar process? The filming took ten minutes so all that data is processed once in ten minutes, so why can't it be processed again in less than 90 minutes?

Also - with regards to cutting the file in two, why does it have to be re-encoded anyway? I mean if I am keeping the same format as the original surely there would be a simpler way of doing things. For example if I downloaded half a wmv file to my PC before my connection was lost I am sure that some boffins somewhere would be able to examine the video contents of that incomplete file - so if that is possible then why isn't there a way of cutting a file into two?

I am not being awkward for the sake of it - I genuinely want to understand

You gotta get Boilsoft Video Splitter (Boilsoft AVI MPEG RM Splitter 4.28) it only takes a second to split it and doesn't do any re-encoding.
    Last edited by Paradox187; 06-14-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast