Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would this be hard to create in After Effects CS4? *multiple effects*

Default Would this be hard to create in After Effects CS4? *multiple effects*

Hey all,

I wanted to make a simple intro for my videos. I want to have my logo fly in, then get hit by lightning, then kinda of glow and then explode. I know how to do each of these separately (besides the glow effect) but I can't seem to get them to work well together. I know this would be tough for someone to explain to me but wasn't sure if anyone had some good vids similar to this. I guess maybe my main problem is figuring out how to do multiple effects.

ok so first you will want to keyframe the logo to fly in(you should know how to do that) then make a new solid and go to generate>lightning and adjust to lightning so it hits the logo by keyframing the end points. For the glow, add an adjustment layer and apply the glow effect. Keyframe the glow intensity so when the lightning hits the logo, the logo starts glowing. IMPORTANT: put the adjusment layer ABOVE the logo layer but BELOW the lighniting layer. to make the text explode you would need to use a 3d modeler(if you wanted the pieces to explode into 3d pieces), but if you wanted to make it juse 2d pieces, you would have to mask the logo, autotrace the mask, and turn the sections into many layers.

Quote Originally Posted by ACVideos1080 View Post
    ok so first you will want to keyframe the logo to fly in(you should know how to do that) then make a new solid and go to generate>lightning and adjust to lightning so it hits the logo by keyframing the end points. For the glow, add an adjustment layer and apply the glow effect. Keyframe the glow intensity so when the lightning hits the logo, the logo starts glowing. IMPORTANT: put the adjusment layer ABOVE the logo layer but BELOW the lighniting layer. to make the text explode you would need to use a 3d modeler(if you wanted the pieces to explode into 3d pieces), but if you wanted to make it juse 2d pieces, you would have to mask the logo, autotrace the mask, and turn the sections into many layers.
    Thanks for your helpful reply. I will try this tomorrow night. For the explosion I was trying to use the shatter effect but I'll go with your idea. The only thing I'm not familiar with is the 3d modeler, where exactly do I find that?

Quote Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
    Thanks for your helpful reply. I will try this tomorrow night. For the explosion I was trying to use the shatter effect but I'll go with your idea. The only thing I'm not familiar with is the 3d modeler, where exactly do I find that?
    Oh yea, i was just talking about any program that lets you do 3d modeling, not some plugin or something in after effects. you can try using the shatter effect if you want, i havent used it before so it might give you interesting results. one thing, when you are autotracing your mask(the mask is for the individual pieces of exploded text) you want to duplicate the mask and set one of them to subtract(the other should be add). then make the mask expansion -something and +something. precompose the layer and autotrace it. there are many ways to change the mask into layers

You can "Explode" any layer in AE - This will then let you have a 3D representation of the item while falling.

Its a very good plugin and effect for AE.

In your Effects and presets type Explode or Fracture or look for an effect in the media preview that looks like the thing your after.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by ACVideos1080 View Post
    Oh yea, i was just talking about any program that lets you do 3d modeling, not some plugin or something in after effects. you can try using the shatter effect if you want, i havent used it before so it might give you interesting results. one thing, when you are autotracing your mask(the mask is for the individual pieces of exploded text) you want to duplicate the mask and set one of them to subtract(the other should be add). then make the mask expansion -something and +something. precompose the layer and autotrace it. there are many ways to change the mask into layers
    Hey thanks ACV for another thorough and detailed response. I'm gonna give it a shot later and hopefully I can get it to work this time. It still seems just a little confusing so I'll try to follow your instructions best I can. Maybe if I really get stuck I'll post a screenshot or two for you guys to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchuk View Post
    You can "Explode" any layer in AE - This will then let you have a 3D representation of the item while falling.

Its a very good plugin and effect for AE.

In your Effects and presets type Explode or Fracture or look for an effect in the media preview that looks like the thing your after.

Mitch
    Hey thanks Mitch. I usually just type Shatter. I didn't know about the two you mentioned. I will give those a shot as well. I hope to get this little intro completed. I've been getting frustrated because I'm so close but just one or two little things don't seem to be working properly.

Shatter is the one i meant - Couldnt think of the word.....

It is a good plugin, you can play about with the settings quite a lot and get realy good results.

What doesnt seem to be working properly?

Remember that you need to play about with the layers and make sure that they are in the right order - If you have a shatter effect on the wrong layer it wont work, and you need to make sure you chose the layer you want to shatter as the shatter map.

Loads to look at and think about.

Let us know how you got on.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchuk View Post
    Shatter is the one i meant - Couldnt think of the word.....

It is a good plugin, you can play about with the settings quite a lot and get realy good results.

What doesnt seem to be working properly?

Remember that you need to play about with the layers and make sure that they are in the right order - If you have a shatter effect on the wrong layer it wont work, and you need to make sure you chose the layer you want to shatter as the shatter map.

Loads to look at and think about.

Let us know how you got on.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch. Just to reiterate I want the logo to fly in, get hit by lightning, then glow from it and then explode. I pretty much know how to do all of those separately but because I'm not that proficient yet in AE I'm having trouble combining them. I think it has to do with the layers, like you said. I'll work on it later when I get home and keep you guys posted. Hopefully I can post my vid

If you make each item and then nest that composition into another comp -

Basically -

Create the comp, do the first bit say make logo fly in and then lightenig.

precompose that and move to a new comp.

Now make another comp the same size and then drag the first comp into it then do more like the glow.
    Pre compose again and move it

Now make another composition the same size then bring that second comp into it and do the "Shatter" on it.

Have a look at www.videocopilot.com it will help you out a lot.

Mitch

Thanks again Mitch for being so helpful; I really appreciate all your time here. I can kind of picture what you're saying it makes sense. But I have one really stupid question, LOL. Like I said I'm still kinda new with this stuff so what do you mean exactly by "precompose".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast