copyright free music
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filmmaking : Sony PD170 or Canon XH-A1 ?

Thanks

Arrow Filmmaking : Sony PD170 or Canon XH-A1 ?

I made a few independent movies over the years, mostly with friends camera and stuff, not too experienced with camera. I am more director than a cameraman.

Anyway, 99% of my use of the camera will be for film: cinema, tv...

I went to stores in my area, and I can't get the PD170 or the XH-A1 for the same price (brand new).

I know about the light issues, but I looked in some videos online, and from that short movies it seems to me like the XH A1 makes a better view after all.

What you think will be the best choice for me for FILM making?

P.S,
    It will be PAL of course.

Cheers,
    Ethan.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No contest... XH-A1

Firstly SD is dead for anything like your projects, the quality of HDV is far better if you're going to transfer to film. Secondly the Canon will do 25p (for PAL don't do 24p) and the latest Canon is seven years on in technology terms.
    Ignore those who think all compression is bad and therefore HDV can't be up to much. The millions which the manufacturers have spent developing (and updating) HDV has resulted in an ideal format for those who want to enter film festivals etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    No contest... XH-A1

Firstly SD is dead for anything like your projects, the quality of HDV is far better if you're going to transfer to film. Secondly the Canon will do 25p (for PAL don't do 24p) and the latest Canon is seven years on in technology terms.
    Ignore those who think all compression is bad and therefore HDV can't be up to much. The millions which the manufacturers have spent developing (and updating) HDV has resulted in an ideal format for those who want to enter film festivals etc.
    Wow, thanks! Great answer.

So you think the XH-A1 is the ideal choice for me in that price range?

Cheers

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Certainly.

Last year, after spending days researching which camcorder in the 3k range to buy, I got an XH-A1 and am more than impressed with it. The new model A1s is, supposedly, even better. Having worked with all the main players in the prosumer field I would honestly say that the "best" in my opinion was the Sony EX1/3 but it is out of my price bracket for my occasional intended use.

I've shot with the 170 and the Canon blows it out of the water in terms of picture quality.

I've also got a Sony BVW (3x 2/3 chip broadcast camera) BetaSp camera gathering dust in the cellar and the Canon is "better" than that! That is a subjective opinion of course but technology has raced on in the past few years and the current crop of HDV camcorders are simply sharper than a broadcast camcorder of a few years ago. The lenses are nowadays the weakest link and the modern Canon lenses are simply divine.

You can, of course add 35mm lens converters and such gismos if you want to go "film look".

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The canon in a flash unless you are really broke and have to get the pd170 - should be well cheap used.

the canon clearly has the extra of shooting in hdv aswell.

Thanks

Thanks again Guru & Mark!

What's the difference between the Canon XH-A1 and the Canon XH-A1s ?
    Last edited by EthanN; 05-04-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks

Also, there is a way with the XH-A1 - to record video directly to a SD card (without a MiniDV cassette)?

Or is it only in use for Still shots? there are pro cameras which can be used for film without cassettes? (straight ti digital SD Card / other memory card)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The SD card on the A1 is just for stills. It can't be put into the loop to record video.

The A1s has a number of small niggles altered from the A1, such as sound levels, input/output accessibility etc sorted. You'll have to look in the website to see the full list I'm afraid.
    There are pro camcorders which record to cards but, at the moment the EX range from Sony and the Panasonic P2 system are the only ones which I would recommend (They're also more expensive than the Canon).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    at the moment the EX range from Sony and the Panasonic P2 system are the only ones which I would recommend (They're also more expensive than the Canon).
    Or the RED Scarlet perhaps? If it actually exists, and you can buy one, the website says $3800 for a complete kit

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It does seem to be something special at that price, although I haven't seen one, let alone used one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast