Thread: dvd burns

Default dvd burns

As a newcomer to vegas media movie studio platinum 8.0, I would appreciate advice on how to use anything like the full (2 hr) capacity of a dvd bearing in mind:
    1) the software can take anything between 4 and 10 hours to render, prepare & burn a 30 minute movie. I can't bear the thought of a 16 to 40 hour process to prepare a reasonably full DVD
    2) the burn software does not allow multiple burns per DVD - which would alleviate the lengthy processing time.

I have a system with XP, 2.4 Gb intel processor, 500 Mb memory & 100 Gb disc

In my earlier video editing environment the software had no DVD burn capability so I used to send the videos in handleable chunks from PC to my video camera and then use the TV/DVD recorder to prepare the DVD. I was hoping the Sony software would cut out the camera link. Any ideas?

ron cook

Blog Entries

What's your source footage?

I'd be inclined to render your video complete with all edits/fx/titles first , to mpeg-2 then import that into DVD Architect. This will at least reduce some of the load on the PC. You will also be able to identify whether it's the rendering or the prepping/burning that's causing the delay.

And how much spare capacity do you have on your 100GB disk. And is it regularly defragged?
    Tim

Default ron cook

Thanks Tim
    I can confirm it is the rendering that takes the time - a video of 46 mins took 3.5 hours. The activity within Architect to prepare & burn took another 40 mins.
    My source footage was originally mini dv tape from my Panasonic camcorder onto disc via MovieMaker and I am using these files as input to the Vegas software.
    I have approx 56 Gb spare on disc and I have always (stemming from my early days with MovieMaker - how did Sony know that !?) defragged prior to a 'render' sequence.
    Am I asking too much of my system to render/prepare/burn a 2 hour video? Also, do you know if I am correct in believing that Nero software allows separate burns to the same DVD?
    Ron Cook

Blog Entries

I don't see why it shouldn't handle the 2hour DVD but it seems like it's going to take a long time. If this is a desktop computer, I'd seriously look at getting a separate hard disk for all your footage/media etc and a memory upgrade to 2GB.

As for Nero - sorry - I've no idea.
    Tim

Default dvd burns

Thanks for latest comments, Tim, and I note your recommendations regarding hardware upgrade.
    One final query: if I do upgrade as suggested, any idea of likely improvement in Vegas throughput. I accept you could only give rough estimates.

Ron Cook

Blog Entries

Sorry Ron. There are SO many factors involved it's impossible to say. I can guarantee an improvement, that's as far as I'm prepared to go.
    Tim