Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microphone problem

1. Default Microphone problem

I want to do voice overs in my videos, but the cheap mic I bought you have to scream to hear any sound from it. I've tried putting my hand over my mouth doing it and it doesn't work well.

So after some researching, I found a USB microphone, I am told that it will sound much better in the USB port, since the 1/8" mic port is a piece of junk no matter what you put in it.

So will a USB mic work?

Blog Entries

3. Default

Well that is useful for camcorder mics, however that isn't what I am asking.

I want to do a voice over like a narrator. The words aren't recorded when you are filming, they are added later. So that I can sit down and record though the mic to the computer, and import the audio file onto my audio track in my editing software.

Blog Entries

It's actually about microphones generally.

If your USB mic is a cheap mic (ie under 100) it won't sound good no matter what you plug it into. As most USB mics tend to be "budget" mics, you'd be better off going about it another way.

Also it's not the connector which makes the sound. It doesn't matter if you have a 1/4" jack socket, it's the sound card and A/D converter which dictates how good it sounds. A USB mic has all that electronic stuff built into it and... how much does it cost? So, you see, the bottom line is: A cheap mic sounds cheap.

As far as microphones are concerned you get what you pay for it. The quality goes up as the price goes up so to do good voice overs you may need to spend a few hundred but is this going to be a one off job or are you planning on adding v/o's to all your videos?

t5he mic input on a camera will always be far superior to a mic input on a pc. i hope you've got a good mic for your camera, you could always use that.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    t5he mic input on a camera will always be far superior to a mic input on a pc. i hope you've got a good mic for your camera, you could always use that.
    You can't do voice overs on the camcorder.

The microphone I bought is a Samsung, it costs $60.00 waiting for it to come in.

please explain why you can't do voice overs post production with a camcorder? I've always been able to do it. just because it's a camercorder doesn't mean it is only to be used to record video.

9. Default

Oh you mean just record with the camcorder, like film a wall, talk to it, then put it on the computer and extract the audio?

just leave the lense cap on, no need to film anything. but basically yeah.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast