Thread: Sony Mini DV import tool

Default Sony Mini DV import tool

Sorry if that is not the correct wording for it
    It is the box that opens when you connect the cable from your video camera to your laptop
    Anyway, it is not working or not there.
    Is there any way I can download it seperately or do I need to re-install Vegas Pro 8 again?
    When you connect everything the box opens, says to import from beginning or from current position and shows a window with sound of what you are importing.
    I have to use the windows default tool and it is only AVI, which I am sure is poorer quality.
    cheers.

maybe unable to reply for a couple of days, so will be slow with the "thanks".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seven1970 View Post
    Sorry if that is not the correct wording for it
    It is the box that opens when you connect the cable from your video camera to your laptop
    Anyway, it is not working or not there.
    Is there any way I can download it seperately or do I need to re-install Vegas Pro 8 again?
    When you connect everything the box opens, says to import from beginning or from current position and shows a window with sound of what you are importing.
    I have to use the windows default tool and it is only AVI, which I am sure is poorer quality.
    cheers.
    Have you tried opening the 'Capture Video' under the File menu in Vegas? That will open Vegas' video capture if it doesn't open automatically when you connect your camera.

AVI isn't poorer quality, by the way.

Andy
    have looked at that
    will try
    the avi I import at is only 720x576 or thereabouts
    should it not come in at 1280x 1040(something like that anyway?)
    cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seven1970 View Post
    the avi I import at is only 720x576 or thereabouts
    should it not come in at 1280x 1040(something like that anyway?)
    No. MiniDV is 720 x 576. (for both 4:3 AND 16:9 - the pixels are different shapes)
    Tim

I don't ever use any of the software that came with my camcorder, including the capturing tools. It's just another unneeded program cluttering up your PC. The capture settings usually aren't as customizable as even basic free tools like Windows Movie Maker. And they are often more cumbersome on your system's resources than Movie Maker so you are more likely to drop frames during capture.

Always capture your material in DV AVI. It'll probably be the most disk-space-hungry but it will also preserve the picture quality. AVI isn't bad quality at all. Especially in this application. It's just an old school format so people without experience think they need to save their content as WMV or MPEG (I was one of them). These more modern codecs are simply compression techniques to create smaller file sizes. Use the bloated AVI stuff to cut your project and then if you decide to store the old video content as AVI, or reencode it to something more conservative is up to you. Well....it's all up to you technically.

Tim and Katner
    thanks for the info
    cheers