Thread: JVC Everio HD30 / 40 dual codec support

Default JVC Everio HD30 / 40 dual codec support

Tried to persuade the wife to let me have a good old Mini Dv camcorder, but she doesn't like fiddly tapes and wants HD too!

Just seen the JVC GZ-HD30 for sale at 349, now I know it will not be the best HD camera in the world, but we would only ever be using it to shoot footage of our dogs.

I noticed that it supports recording in both AVCHD and MPEG-TS.

I know PE7 can import and use the AVCHD files, but will it handle MPEG-TS files.

Regards

Tony

Blog Entries

I hate hard drive cameras - but not this one.

The BIG problem with most is that they record in AVCHD - this is a toally useless codec for editing in it's native form - almost uneditable in my view.

I checked the specs and it appears that the mpeg stream is a HDV stream - less compressed, uses an editable data structure that will edit smoothly on a normal pc - avchd needs the fastst and then it chugs.

If I am correct any editor that edits hdv ( nearly all ) will edit the mpeg data from this camera.

Deep joy - maybe AVCHD is going to die.

That's what made me look at the camcorder, the fact that it can record HD in a format that I will not need to go out and buy a server farm to edit with!

The only negative comments I can see are about it's lack of Optical Stabilisation, which has been replaced with a Digital Image Stabiliser.

I've had OIS on my DSLR lenses, but DIS seems to work just as good on my wife's compact Sony camera as it does on my 40D with 100-400 lens.

As stated, I'll never be using it for anything other than filming the dogs (no kids here!), so perfect stabilisation is not critical. I do own monopods and tripods for when the need arises, just need to get a fluid head.

Might call in at PC World and snap it up this evening.

Cheers

Tony

Blog Entries

Stabilisation - really no big deal.

Professional cameras dont use it as it ( optical ) adds 2 more ( i think 2 ) prisms into the optical path and more glass means more abberations.

Digital stabilisation can also reduce the effective res very slightly.

My small camera has it but tbh I nearly always have it tunred off - I actully find I can get a better picture with more definite control of framing with it off.

Tripods - cheap is nasty - 300 ish ofr a decent one. Sub 100 ok if you dont want to pan.

SWMBO has given the nod for me to buy this tomorrow.

One thing has worried me, I have downloaded the manual from the interweb and nowhere does it state how to transfer files to a PC!

Am I being stupid, i would have thought connecting this device to my Vista machine via USB, would just show up as an external HD? but no mention in the manual, which to be honest is a little sparse!

Tony

Deep joy - maybe AVCHD is going to die.

Mark,

Sadly not I fear. JVC didn't used to have AVCHD on these consumer camcorders at all, they were MPEG-TS only - and you're right if you record CBR MPEG_TS, they can be treated exactly the same as HDV. Unfortunately, they're now providing "hybrid" versions that do both and I think they have recently released a consumer model that records only in AVCHD.

This MPEG-2 format of theirs (and the camcorders by association) seemed to get a lot of stick - mainly because they didn't seem to provide much info on what to do with it on a PC. If they'd just announced loudly that what we have here is tapeless HDV, take-up would have been a lot more pronounced.

Blog Entries

I agree.

I just dont get thay didnt call it hdv without the tape - although tape is still in my opinion the best medium for storage on a camera.

Solid state is the future I am sure but again it is frustrating to see comnumer sd gear often compromised in other ways compared to tape cameras.