Thread: Question about motion menus.

Default Question about motion menus.

Hello,

I created a dvd menu in Photoshop to use in Encore. I imported this into After Effects because I wanted to turn it into a motion menu. I was able to get the effect I wanted in After Effects, but when I import this file into Encore it doesnít line up with the still menu. Is there a special setting I need to use for this?

Iím not the savviest with either program, so maybe Iím going about this all wrong. Iím thinking that I need to first make the menu in Encore using a still menu (the one I created in Photoshop). I then drop the motion menu on top of the still menu and I should get still have the active buttons from the still menu and the motion playing from the motion menu. Is this correct?

Thanks,

James

I'm not that handy with the software either, but I have done exactly what you said to achieve a motion menu.

I created an AVI file in Premiere, based on a menu created in Photoshop, then I just deleted all the layers apart from the text (and associated highlight layers) and imported the photoshop file as a menu into Encore, then in the properties box in Encore set the video for the menu as the AVI file, and don't forget to set the audio for the menu as the AVI file too, or it'll be silent.

Mine lined up perfectly though, not sure if After Effects is the problem, perhaps double-check the export settings in AE, it might be set to wide screen or NTSC or something.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Just guessing but check your composition settings in AE. i.e. make sure the comp size is the correct dimensions and also check the pixel aspect ratio as well.

... but unless you're trying to do somethign really fancy then try importing the menu as a Photoshop file (PSD) into Premiere and preserve the layers.

Do some animating in Premiere i.e. have the button layers zoom in from off screen.

Export and open in Encore. See if that works.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the help! I think I finally got it. I started with a menu from Encore and modified it to fit my needs. It looks like those menus are 720 x 534. Encore wonít accept a video file with those dimensions, so the video and menu were not aligned. I think I can start with a menu at 720 x 480 and they should line up.

If anyone knows of a step by step direction set for motion menus online I would love a link.

Millsy.. I would love to have tried that, but unfortunately I donít have Premiere yet. Iím still in the dark ages with Windows Movie Maker. I purchased Audition to work with audio tracks and After Effects for my fun stuff. I guess itís time to get some real editing software. I was putting Premiere off because of the price (not much left in the bank after the other programs), but Premiere Elements looks promising.

Thanks again,

James

I'm using NTSC DV, 720x480. Is there another place I need to check? You mentioined comp size and pixel ratio.

James

Just guessing but check your composition settings in AE. i.e. make sure the comp size is the correct dimensions and also check the pixel aspect ratio as well.

Hello again,

I finished the project and Iím mostly happy with it. Using a menu at 720x480 did solve the problem with my motion menu lining up. My only complaint is that when it transfers to a TV screen (I previewed this in Encore) it squishes the photos ever so slightly. Not enough that anyone would notice, but I do. However, the photos are lined up perfectly with the menu buttons and they fade in and out at 4 second intervals. It was just the look I wanted.

I did run into another problem when I was creating this DVD. In order for my music to loop (a 4 minute song), I had to make sure the photo avi was the same length. I ended up going into Movie Maker and looping the photo avi until it reached 4 minutes. This worked, but I wish Encore would allow the video and audio files to loop with different lengths.

I also finally purchased a copy of Premiere. I canít wait for it to arrive!

Thanks again for all the help,

James